SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus

DGU

To my eternal shame - When I first started in this hobby I was on top of the Epynt ranges above Brecon a few years ago and saw Venus and Jupiter together - I was convinced it was the floodlights of two helicopters as the wind blew the clouds by and looked for all the world like the "choppers" were getting closer - I stayed in my car a full 15 minutes before I realised what I was seeing - I can fully understand why people cry UFO in such circumstances - in a dark sky - bright is an understatement for such objects lol

I was delighted a few teatimes ago when I had a quick look at Venus through my grab n go ST80 (at about 40x) and saw it was a crescent! It soon disappeared behind next doors roof, but it was a lovely first for me!

Yes I was astounded to see it so far towards south a few days ago, It was sitting just to the left of SSE,

but that's the Geometry of the sky at this time of year.

Gorgeous crescent too, and you dont need too much Magification to tease a good view of it. Its often better

when the sky still has blue in it as this takes the glare away.

Regards,  Mick

Archived