Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

LeeWilky

Skywatcher Explorer 200p on eq5 advice

Hi all.

Im a total noob to astronomy and i recently purchased a Skywatcher Explorer 200p on an EQ5 mount and was looking for some advice on using it.

I just set it up and aligned the tripod to the north and had a play at trying to look in various directions and found that sometimes the viewing angle was extremely uncomfortable especially for high angle targets and looking at things to the south.  Am i doing something wrong?  With the tripod aligned North if i wish to look at something in the South the viewfinder is just at a ridiculous angle and very hard to use.  The last telescope i had was an old refractor on a swivel base and this was very simple to look at targets in any direction but this thing just seems incredibly awkward.

Thankyou in advance.

Lee

So it is part of the design and not me being a silly person lol!  Thanks mate ill knock some of these up.

You can rotate the tube in the tube rings - but be careful not to let the tube slip and ruin the balance.  After a while you find a position that suits most observing (unless you tend to view things all over the sky in one session!).  Even so you may find a small 2-step ladder useful as stretching to the eyepiece becomes very uncomfortable after a surprisingly short time. 

You can also set the tripod at the most favourable height for comfort (but not too low or the scope may hit the ground!).

Yeh it can be a stretch sometimes.  Im 5ft 11 and i was on my toes trying to look through the eyepiece at some angles.  Miss the good old days of the rotating mount on the refractor lol!  On a totally unrelated note how do you post images on here?

To post images click on "More reply options" (bottom right of the box you type into) and then look below the box - you will see "Attach Files". Click on choose files to get a menu where you can select the image you want from your computer.  It will upload to a grey strip across the bottom of the typing box.  Put you cursor wherever you want the picture to appear within your post and then click "Add to post".  Submit your post.  Job Done.

post-4502-0-69722900-1385588563.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the joys of spinning your tube, one of the things you have to live with if you have a Newtonian on an EQ mount.  when you find the eyepiece in a mad position simply reposition the scope so it is horizontal, loosen the knurled bolts on the tube rings and spin the tube to a better position.  Don't forget to re-tighten the bolts.  I have a couple of large jubilee clips (made for air conditioning ducts) round my tube to stop it from sliding up and down whilst spinning, so I don't upset the balance.

Sometimes you can reposition the eyepiece by moving the scope from one side of the mount to the other side. So looking from behind your set up - if the eyepiece is under the under tube on the right hand side of the mount - simply loosen the RA clutch and swivel it over to the left hand side bringing the eyepiece to an upright position. Then lock the clutch and adjust the Dec axis as necessary.

I doesn't always work but a lot of the time it does. Also if it's too high a plastic caravan step for a fiver will give you a little extra height and is light and portable. If it's too low then an adjustable stool or ironing chair can be useful and more comfy. Hth :)

Edited by brantuk
  • Like 1

Oh im looking forward to making mistakes as that means im actually out there with my scope lol!  So far since delivery ive had clouds all day and night.  So frustrating lol.

• Like 1

Oh im looking forward to making mistakes as that means im actually out there with my scope lol!  So far since delivery ive had clouds all day and night.  So frustrating lol.

Hi Lee,I understand your pain lol I bought a skywatcher 130p 12 days ago and so far I have had 20 mins of clear skies,really frustrating is't it

Hi Lee,I understand your pain lol I bought a skywatcher 130p 12 days ago and so far I have had 20 mins of clear skies,really frustrating is't it

Driving me mad mate lol!  The only forecast for clear skies here is this weekend when im busy every day.  Oh well one day ill be able to set it up and have a go :)

Starting position is usefull. I don't observe much to the North so I start with the focuser pointing down. Much of the time (not all the time depending on which direction you slew in) when I slew to the South, the focuser ends up in a reasobly comfortable position, or at the very least I don't have to spin the tube much

• Like 1

you will have lots of fun with that set up i have the same my self... roll on clear skys 

• Like 1

i am 163cm tall (5 foot 5 inch) and my first scope was a 8" skywatcher on an eq5. I had some interesting moments until I learned to rotate it in it's rings. somewhere in the internet there was a nice howto on a mod which would add 2 rings to the scope to keep it from moving back-forth, and then replaced the felt pads on the retaining rings with teflon. This will make it a lot easier to rotate. 

LeeWilky..........Not a noob, totally normal, to align, then slow-mo track, then lock down, then re-align, re-track, balance, counter balance, Rotate the tube, rotate it back for the next object, realign, track, elevate, lock, rotate............all perfectly normal until you get a DOBSONIAN? :grin:

LeeWilky..........Not a noob, totally normal, to align, then slow-mo track, then lock down, then re-align, re-track, balance, counter balance, Rotate the tube, rotate it back for the next object, realign, track, elevate, lock, rotate............all perfectly normal until you get a DOBSONIAN? :grin:

Haha i thought about the Dob initially but as im interested more in AP i ruled it out :)  Altho in the future i might consider the SW 250PX also just for good viewing.