Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autostakkert!2 "Failed opening file"

Hello

I'm having trouble with AS!2 getting the error "failed opening file xxxxxxxx framecount = 0". It wont open any of my avi's that I've been capturing on my DFK Y800/Y800 raw.

I had it working previously really well but I've just switched to a new laptop running windows 8. Not sure if that's the problem? I can play the avis back OK and I think they may be OK in registax. 

Its driving me nuts!

Any ideas?

I get the same error using a different webcam when the frame count is above a certain number. I think with 1700 frames or more, I get the error.

If I open the file in PIPP and save out (I normally save as a SER file) all the frames, it then loads fine into AS, even though it's still the 1700 frames or whatever.

The movies load just fine unchanged in AVIStack. Some codec issue? :confused:

PIPP will do the same job of fixing the AVI file that VirtualDub did, it should even do it a bit faster than VirtualDub!

I am a little surprised that AS!2 would have problems with an AVI file using the Y800 codec.  In a chat with Emil he told me that all the basic AVI decoding is done using code that he wrote from scratch, therefore there should be no codec dependencies.

Chris

Hi Chris - I'm using IC Capture that came with the DFK. There are about 5000 frames at about 5 Gb.

I had no problem on my older laptop. I was capturing 3 min avis with about 10,000 frames in y800. Worked fine in AS!2

Ah, you are creating AVI files over the magic 4GB mark, this can be problematic for old encoders.  I wonder if it is actually the codec doing the encoding that is the problem, producing an invalid AVI file structure rather than AS!2 not handling a good file.  It could be that you installed a codec pack that contains a dodgy AVI/Y800 encoder.

A few thoughts:

Can AS!2 on your new laptop handle Y800 AVI files (> 4GB) captured on your own laptop?

If it can, then that proves that it is actually the encoding codec that is at fault rather than AS!2.  In this case removing and reinstalling IC Capture might install the correct codec, though of course the installer might detect that you already have a Y800 codec installed and not install its own.

Another option is to use FireCapture with extended AVI mode enabled instead of IC capture.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived