Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

freelander86

Wooden fixed mount?

I'm going to install a fixed solid mount to replace my tripod but I'm wondering if a solid wooden post would do? A large metal pole will be unsightly and potentially dangerous… anyone tried a wooden mount?

Yes, if you look through posts here, I recall seeing pictures of wooden mount and it looked very solid indeed (and in my humble view a lot better from a point of view of damping vibrations).

Wow! Judging by the shadows i guess you needed the height to view over something? Is it still solid enough with all those joins?

Solid as a solid thing ... experimented once with the HEQ5Pro head and 200PDS , coped admirably , it was just the getting stuff that size up there ...  :p

Built it to keep a view of the Sun in the depths of winter when he's so low .

It's only 95 x 95 mm , but securely braced to the wall , if I were to make a shorter free stander I'd up it to 150 x 150 myself , good knot free , straight grained timber should be fine , may need to check PA now and again as wood will invariably move a bit over the course of the year .