Skywatcher 28mm LET 2" eyepiece

nicks90

Just after a quick bit of advice really,

I am in desperate need to fill a gap in my ep range - primarily 25-28mm.

Eventually this will be filled with a SW panaview 26mm 2", but whilst I save up for this, I have the option of a SW 28mm LET 2" ep for next to nothing. I know from reading FLO they are just a modified kellner and only have a 58deg fov, but does anyone have any experience with using these in a 12" f5 dob?

Or should I quantify a little...

are they actually usable, say on a par with a no brand typical 1.25" 5 element plossl... as I have a 25mm plossl which is ok, but i just cant be bothered swapping over the 2-1.25" adaptor all the time when i;ve finished finding/viewing with my 38mm panaview.

I had one briefly. With an f4.5 newt it was not brilliant. But the 4.5 was just pushing it too far, should be better with an F5. And should be fine as a stop gap until the Panaview arrives. Word of warning, the Panaview itself is recommended for scopes F6 or slower.

Word of warning, the Panaview itself is recommended for scopes F6 or slower.

really?

I thought they were supposed to be good to f5. at least the 38mm i have (other than too large and exit pupil) is fine, bit soft at the edges if you look hard, but i work in the centre of FOV anyway...

in that case I may have to rethink my future 25-28mm 2" ep purchase, its just there arent that many sub £100 ep

Would a second hand Skywatcher Aero / Baader Hyperion aspheric fit to your budget? Sub £100 for a decent performing 28mm @ f5 might be pushing it a little if you want to buy new. Having said that if you're not bothered about edge performance then your options may be a little more open.

Archived