William Optics join the 100 degree Eyepiece Club

John

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an overly expensive eyepiece... on the other side of the pond mind you! 

I wonder if they will make a decent range of focal lengths of the XWA's, its been said many times on this forum that WO seem to leave gaps in their ranges of EPs

Very interesting... I was thinking about the ES 9mm or 5mm 100 degrees, but these seem cheaper. I wonder how good they are considering WO EPs are not exactly the best out there...

The UWAN's and the SPL's are pretty good. I just wish there were more of them in the ranges !

UWAN's in particular don't give much away at all to Naglers.

that is butt ugly! theres no way id be sticking that in my scope lol!

I guess it's a personal thing but how an eyepiece looks is very, very low down on my priorities when choosing them.   

What I don't understand fully from the images is just how the 2-inch adapter is secured to the ep - looks like a simple slip-fit. If so, I wouldn't trust it in my diagonal. What am I missing?

What I don't understand fully from the images is just how the 2-inch adapter is secured to the ep - looks like a simple slip-fit. If so, I wouldn't trust it in my diagonal. What am I missing?

You unscrew the 1.25" bit and screw the 2" one...simples. Whenever I have the options I usually stick with the 2" bit, more solid and secure.

I wonder who the manufacturer is.

I immediately thought of Kunming as the UWANs/Nirvanas are culled from that stable and it has that 'look', but their website doesn't have anything that gives any hints.

At $250, I can't help thinking it must be a clone/re-skin of an existing design from somewhere.

Russell

I immediately thought of Kunming as the UWANs/Nirvanas are culled from that stable and it has that 'look', but their website doesn't have anything that gives any hints.

At $250, I can't help thinking it must be a clone/re-skin of an existing design from somewhere.

Russell

Thanks, Russell!

I wouldn't have thought the 100° design would be possible through the 1.25" fitting.it will likely be on the same element design as the ES 100° with a body redesign.

The 13mm and shorter Ethos are 1.25" eyepieces. They have the 2" skirt and using them in 2" mode is sensible due to their size and weight but they will fit in a 1.25" focuser.

The folks on the Cloudynights forum seem to think that the "budget" 100 degree eyepieces (pic below) which are available under a number of brand names are a strong candidate for the optical pattern used in the WO but I'd hope it was the ES one as it's better I believe.

post-118-0-53538600-1385547033.jpeg

How do you find your 9mm 100deg?

i like the ES 100 deg range Emad.i like them a lot.

9mm is a beautiful eye piece and so far has given me stunning planetary and cluster views.I did visit Andromeda and i can just fit it in the 9mm eye piece with central star clearly visible from LP garden.with 20mm i can fit both Andromeda and the smaller companion with ease.

Very comfortable eye relief on ES (for me atliest) and stars are nice and sharp(using paracorr) with a beautiful pitch black background. As the FOV is so huge,eye position is critical or you will get black outs,however,once you get used,views are stunning.It is not like you are looking through a porthole,it is like your head is outside the porthole and you are looking in the outer space.

9mm with paracorr showed me none coma,20mm gave very little of it so i am very pleased.According to ES,eye pieces should perform perfectly with any scope down to F4,mine is F4.64 so works superb.

i struggled with eye relief on Ethos 13mm,but i will check that again ,but i did enjoy eye relief of ES. Performance wise,ES are a tiny bit softer,but not that obvious.Ethos snaps in focus better,where with ES you have to play a bit,but once you hit the spot its there.I  cant clearly give a win to neither Ethos or ES for time being as i need more time and had only 2hrs so far.However,one thing for sure,once ES 5.5mm comes up available on 15th of december,I WILL buy it.

Hope that helps to make your mind up :)

Clear skies.

Archived