150PL + EQ3-2 mount expectations and suggestions

After initially trying to get a scope on a very tight budget, I've stretched my pockets a bit, and gone for a larger one.

This was all planned to be a Christmas pressie for myself and my wife, but depending on what happens with ISON, this might have to be a pressie that's opened early.

I have a Skywatcher Explorer 150PL with the EQ3-2 mount ordered. I have also managed to find the money to get the R.A. Motor Drive for it.

Fingers crossed, this will all be with me by the end of this week, or the beginning of next.

I am wondering if I could get some suggestions for other things you would recommend to go along with it, to help with our new hobby.

I have read that Turn Left at Orion is a good book to get. Any other suggestions to go along with this?

I have also recently read of the need for a collimator. Is this something you would recommend to get my hands on from day one? If so, any suggestions on resaonably priced options?

I am sure there are plenty of things I haven't thought of, and probably loads of sensible reading I could/should have done before parting with my hard earned cash. :smiley:

Hi Stooby, the telescope, if bought new, comes with everything you need to get started.  But yes, the book 'Turn Left At Orion' would be an excellent choice to get you started on hunting for DSO's.  Also, you will need a collimater at some point to check the precision of the mirrors, I suggest a Cheshire one here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

Apart from the above, the best thing is to see how you get on with the new telescope and get used to using it, thinking about that you will need warm clothing and perhaps thermals as astronomy is a winter sport.

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase!

Hi Stooby,

I have the same scope as the one you have ordered and I think you will enjoy it quite a bit.

I think the advice about 'Turn Left at Orion' is good, not only is it an interesting read but you can work your way through it. It's an excellent introduction to the night sky and your telescope.

I would also recommend a collimator from day one, if the scope arrives not collimated then you will have trouble with seeing the detail you should be. Collimation seems daunting at first but once mastered with the 150PL only minor and quick adjustments are all that is needed. If you can go for a crosshair/cheshire collimator then do, just check the accessories page of the retailer you have ordered your scope with.

A x2 barlow is really useful too but that may come with the package, I can't recall now.

I also find that the Skywatcher auto focuser is good to have too as it allows fine adjustments on the focuser without touching the scope which is good because it can be a bit wobbly but you probably wont need this from day one.

I don't know what else to say, you have a good scope on the way and some good ideas so just get out and enjoy it. :)

As you use it you may come across other things you will need/want but can only tell by using it.

Thanks for all the comments, they are very welcome and much appreciated.

Hi Stooby, the telescope, if bought new, comes with everything you need to get started.  But yes, the book 'Turn Left At Orion' would be an excellent choice to get you started on hunting for DSO's.  Also, you will need a collimater at some point to check the precision of the mirrors, I suggest a Cheshire one here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

Thanks for that info. I have given that link to a family member, and have been assured this will be under the tree by Christmas Day. :smiley:

Hi Stooby,

I have the same scope as the one you have ordered and I think you will enjoy it quite a bit.

I think the advice about 'Turn Left at Orion' is good, not only is it an interesting read but you can work your way through it. It's an excellent introduction to the night sky and your telescope.

I would also recommend a collimator from day one, if the scope arrives not collimated then you will have trouble with seeing the detail you should be. Collimation seems daunting at first but once mastered with the 150PL only minor and quick adjustments are all that is needed. If you can go for a crosshair/cheshire collimator then do, just check the accessories page of the retailer you have ordered your scope with.

A x2 barlow is really useful too but that may come with the package, I can't recall now.

I also find that the Skywatcher auto focuser is good to have too as it allows fine adjustments on the focuser without touching the scope which is good because it can be a bit wobbly but you probably wont need this from day one.

The auto focuser sounds interesting. I am aware that the EQ3-2 mount suffers from wobble, so anything that can help with that can only be a good thing. Will do a bit of research on this.

Telrad and print out the finder charts, 

Nick.

I am assuming the Telrad is this: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

The description says they sell them quicker than they are made. That sounds like they are popular! Is this a replacement for the finder scope that comes with the 150PL? Or would I place this alongside it?

You'll like this suggestion because it's free, Stellarium:- http://www.stellarium.org/

This is a free planetarium program that will help you find your way around the night sky.

As of now, both laptops and the desktop in our house have this program. Thanks for that.

I have also installed Google Sky Map on my Android phone. Does anyone else use this? It seems to be a simple 'tell you what you are looking at' map of the sky.

I would keep the 6x30 finder scope and just mount the Telrad a few inches around the tube from it. Test-fit first with some sticky tape first to get the best position as I hear the actual mounting is very difficult to move once it's stuck on.

You may also like to get or make a dew shield, this will help keep dew off the mirrors and also increase contrast if you live near street lights etc which have a chance of shining into the scope.

I would advise that you don't fit the motor straight away, get used to twiddling the knobs initially. The more gizmos that you fit, the more it takes away from the pure experience in my opinion. I have both axis motors fitted to my CG-4 (a very similar mount to the EQ3-2) and it sometimes feels slower to use than when I had knobs fitted, and I never bother to precisely polar align so it doesn't track very well but that's due to my own laziness.

A couple of decent eyepieces will also help increase your enjoyment - I like the Celestron X-Cel LX range, an 8mm, 10mm or 12mm will provide good high magnification (get some advice on which is best for the 150PL f8 scope), while a 25mm will be useful for finding objects and wide field views (open clusters, Orion nebula, Andromeda galaxy, etc). The scope comes with a 2x barlow but, like the two provided Skywatcher eyepieces, they are not brilliant and should be high on your upgrade list. A few good eyepieces are an investment and should be good to use with most scopes.

Hi Stooby,

Having quickly read through this post I've noticed that no one has mentioned getting a polar scope for the mount. This helps align the mount with Polaris and makes it easier to track objects in the sky....

regards Ady

P.S. welcome to Sgl...

Hi Stooby,

Having quickly read through this post I've noticed that no one has mentioned getting a polar scope for the mount. This helps align the mount with Polaris and makes it easier to track objects in the sky....

regards Ady

P.S. welcome to Sgl...

Bit of a faff and not really necessary for visual use in my opinion.  I wouldn't attempt imaging with an EQ3-2 either, but maybe that's just me being unadventurous!

I would keep the 6x30 finder scope and just mount the Telrad a few inches around the tube from it. Test-fit first with some sticky tape first to get the best position as I hear the actual mounting is very difficult to move once it's stuck on.

You may also like to get or make a dew shield, this will help keep dew off the mirrors and also increase contrast if you live near street lights etc which have a chance of shining into the scope.

I would advise that you don't fit the motor straight away, get used to twiddling the knobs initially. The more gizmos that you fit, the more it takes away from the pure experience in my opinion. I have both axis motors fitted to my CG-4 (a very similar mount to the EQ3-2) and it sometimes feels slower to use than when I had knobs fitted, and I never bother to precisely polar align so it doesn't track very well but that's due to my own laziness.

A couple of decent eyepieces will also help increase your enjoyment - I like the Celestron X-Cel LX range, an 8mm, 10mm or 12mm will provide good high magnification (get some advice on which is best for the 150PL f8 scope), while a 25mm will be useful for finding objects and wide field views (open clusters, Orion nebula, Andromeda galaxy, etc). The scope comes with a 2x barlow but, like the two provided Skywatcher eyepieces, they are not brilliant and should be high on your upgrade list. A few good eyepieces are an investment and should be good to use with most scopes.

I like that idea for the Telrad. This will be on the shopping list for the new year. Getting this larger scope has really emptied my pockets for now :smiley:

Dew shield - ah, that's what I've seen on some scope images! They look pretty simple to make up from scratch. We are fortunate where we live, as they turn off the street lights at about 1am - great for muggers but also for astronomers!

I hadn't thought about the motor like that. I had initially wanted a go-to motor, way back when I started reading about this hobby. It wasn't long before I'd seen comments along the line of "don't get a go-to scope if you want to learn where things are in the sky". So with that option crossed off mentally, I opted for a motor to make tracking easier, and to have an option for photography if I fancies it. I shall give your comment some serious consideration.

I agree that new eye pieces will be worth it. I wasn't 100% sure if they were all interchangeable. That shopping/wish list is getting bigger already!

Hi Stooby,

Got my PL bout 3 weeks ago or something. Been great. You are going to enjoy it!! Like the guys said, get a cheshire collimator, I may have been unlucky but mine needed collimated on the 2nd night. ( Turns out the spider vane adjustment screws were loose so was totally out of alignment )

Collimation is one of those things that sounds harder than it actually is... this is a good video guide : http://www.andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html

Clear Skies mate!!!

Mark

For a cheap first dew shield visit a Hobby Craft Store, they do sheets of a thin foam, 80p each I think. You would need 2 and some velcro - self adhesive type I guess. However not sure how effective one would be, as you are adding about 6 inches to a tube that is already about a meter long. I would have thought that the main tube itself acted a bit like a dew shield.

Eyepieces, yes they supply 2 but they are pretty poor, still try them first then take a shot at what you want to get and spend. If you wear glasses then plossl's would be OK in the scope but the eye relief may not be good for you.

Motors, they are not fast at moving the scope, but do make it nicer as whatever you are looking at remains in view a bit longer and you are not trying to adjust the mount with 2 twiddly bits while looking down the eyepiece. If you do get motors then get the pair. The cost difference is small and if you search you might get the pair for about £10 more then a single one anyway.

Collimation, you will at some time need to collimate it, even if it is to find that it doesn't need adjusting. One cheap option is a collimation cap. Basically a small hole in a tube - people say an old 35mm film plastic container is right. Think that Astro-Baby's web site describes one and what to do as in to make and use. May not be as accurate as a cheshire but could be good enough until you get one. Keeps cost down.

Other then that practise with the mount and get used to it, don't rush and stay warm, being reasonably comfortable helps a lot.

I must have been lucky with my 150P - I spent the money on a Cheshire Collimator and I went through the process only to realise that everything was bang on, which is a little confusing at first as guides usually say that you have to twiddle this knob or turn that screw, they often assume that it is not in perfect collimation.

I would second buying both motors, if you only buy the one then you'll still have to twiddle a knob which will introduce vibration.

Some great suggestions here so far!

I did buy both motors for my eq5 some years ago and to be honest ive never really used them!  Mind you I don't do astro-photography just visual and I find that these: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/flexible-control-cables-for-skywatcher-celestron-mounts.html make life a great deal easier for adjusting the scope!

Ared light torch would be a great help too - I use a head torch type.

Great first scope by the way!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I now have a much clearer picture of what the next few steps will be when we start using the scope, as well as a few extra items coming from relatives for Christmas.

As this is a Christmas pressie for my wife, I have to somehow smuggle this thing in to the house on Christmas Eve!

Archived