Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bonus in searching for the pup

YKSE

Clear night forecast, but -4 to -5 degree. My backyard has about an hour's view nearly due south, therefore finding  the pup seems to be worth a try.

80ED on AZ4 is set up around 11 o'clock, half an hour later, Rigel is in observing field. According to recommendations, it's a good practice to split Rigel first since the pup is about the same seperation as Rigel double. starting from 10mm BCO, Rigel B is clear splitted in 135X with BCO 10mm +2.25x barlow. seeing is quite good actually.

Some minutes warm-up back in the house, M42 is right there. using the same EP+barlow combo, the Trapezium C seems not exactly on focus, a little tweek on focuser, the F shows up! looking closely to the side of A and B, there lies E! Actually my perception is that E is a little fainter than F, not sure if it's correct. Any, what a nice surprise, got E and F on my first shot with 80ED on Trapezium!

Half an hour later, Sirius is there, flashing in colors, but not at all as fiercely it usually does. Using the same EP combo, focus on Sirius, it just flashs irregularly, no hint of star near it. then, there comes some brief seconds, there are many nice and round diffraction rings around Sirius, still nothing. When Sirius is treed out, I have to pack things without finding the pup. though still very satisfied.

Nice report Yong  :smiley:

Your seeing must be very good - I managed to get E & F Trapezium with my 4" Vixen tonight which means the seeing is pretty good here too. These a tough little stars too see with smaller apertures !

So far I've only managed to see Sirius B with my 12" dob. Perhaps one of my smaller scopes might manage it this winter   :smiley:

Archived