Celestron x-cel lx 7 mmvs William Optics 6mm

Steve777

Hi all,

I'm in need of a good high power eyepiece to go with my 150 dob, but pretty torn between the two above; I have the 25mm Celstron one which is great, but the WO would deliver x200 as opposed to x100 with my scope; course I could go for 5mm Celestron, but that might be too high a mag for normal conditions; any advice appreciated,

Hiya Steve,

There are lots of options and as you know everyone's preference is different. Your own experiences will eventually determine your route to astronomy excellence :grin:

200 x is about on the limit for observing from the UK so you should be fine with the WO and a 7mm XCEL would probably get more usage than the 5mm.

It also depends on what you want to view, planets, DSO's or both.

For example, Jupiter seems to be suited for 200 x and below, Saturn around about 230 x and for the moon up to 400 x can be achieved, for DSO's  I use between 80 x & 170 x magnification dependent on the target. All of which are dependent on the atmospheric conditions at the time.

Using a 2 x Barlow in line with an eyepiece is also an option as this effectively doubles the focal length of your scope or halves the focal length of the eyepiece, I am not sure which is correct but the outcome is the same :shocked:  for example, using a 12mm eyepiece in line with a 2 x Barlow will give you the same magnification as a 6mm and so on.

Hope this helps

Shaun

thank you guys, veering toward that 6mm (though gonna need a moon filter too!)

I think both are very nice eyepieces so pick the focal length that best fills the gap in your set.

My largest scope is a 12" dob but I don't find I need a moon filter even with that, especially when viewing at higher magnifications. I know some folks do like to use a filter but don't feel it's a mandatory requirement - lots of us get on just fine with lunar observing without one :smiley:  

I think both are very nice eyepieces so pick the focal length that best fills the gap in your set.

My largest scope is a 12" dob but I don't find I need a moon filter even with that, especially when viewing at higher magnifications. I know some folks do like to use a filter but don't feel it's a mandatory requirement - lots of us get on just fine with lunar observing without one :smiley:  

My daughter (12) and I were out on Friday (I think), the moon was fab, she commented on how bright it was, so we tried stopping down the 'scope, we won't bother again!

She much preferred the image as it was and quickly got used to the brightness. The moon was splendid and she particularly enjoyed exploring the terminator. She did laugh about being blinded afterwards (a bit like staring at a light bulb), but keeps asking when we'll be out again!

Cheers

Archived