Fixed (Obsy) EQ Mount GoTo Setup

Macavity

Beneath the excellent software (EQMod!, CdC etc.) and user guides, I still get confused re. the concept of initialising an equatorial mount (HEQ5) in a permanent (observatory etc.) setting. Some of this might be "software specific", but I would like to better understand the general setup of GoTo in EQ mounts! ;)

Firstly, you do your best to "level" things, get things pointing north? (Polar alignment etc., I understand!) Then, typically, you start a session by requesting the software gets the scope to SLEW to a first star. Invariably, it will be "a bit out"! (Upto Two Deg?!) - BUT then What??? The normal way might be to push (software) buttons to get the scope to point to the FIRST star, confirm that, "synch" - Then "away we go(To)"! But then the same thing (scope a bit out, adjust, "synch" etc.) repeats each time of setup? :o

Or DOES it? Should I e.g. be releasing the clutches, *physically* moving the mount to get it to point to the first star? What of the "Encoders"? (I get the general idea!) But I'm unsure about... "Re-synching" (encoders). Does the mount hardware have some concept / memory of "zero" (Home etc.) positions. Or is this all done / stored e.g. at (software) Parking? Just a bit confused still... Being totally unclear too? Be gentle with me? :D

No need to do polar alignment each time. The mount will hold it between sessions.

All I do is park the mount then power off. At power on, I connect to the planterium software, slew to a star and then "fine-tune" the alignment. it normally holds the alignment fairly well, to be honest. I'm not using anything fancy...just a basic NEQ6.

If you slacken the clutches then you will lose alignment unless your mount has encoders.

No need to do polar alignment each time. The mount will hold it between sessions.

All I do is park the mount then power off. At power on, I connect to the planterium software, slew to a star and then "fine-tune" the alignment. it normally holds the alignment fairly well, to be honest. I'm not using anything fancy...just a basic NEQ6. If you slacken the clutches then you will lose alignment unless your mount has encoders.

With you all they way on all that - Thanks! I wonder if you have some general idea of how much you have to "fine tune" the first star alignment? My (estimated) "upto two degrees off" seems not uncommon. Worryingly large? I still get this nagging problem that, whereas the GoTo's are pretty good on one (either) side of the meridian (GoTo) crossing between hemisheres seems pretty inaccurate. Not convinced it's (all) polar alignment. Cone errors seem negligable. Again this is of "degree" order rather than (I imagined!) sub-degree level - Which seems well within the capabilities of HEQ5/6s?  ;)

Not to worry excessively. But if you (anyone) spots any obvious misconceptions. :)

I'm unsure about what to do also when I slew to the first object, it's usually way off, do I slew to it then sync or lossen the clutches and then align it using the red dot finder ?

when I use the first method it seems every object is alittle bit out and needs aligning to center it.

I'm using eqmod and stellarium scope with stellarium software.

Hopefully chris will be along to sort us out.

With my limited use of EQmod i park the scope so it clears the roof, when starting up i unpark the mount slews to its home position i normally view in the east going round towards the South, when i click on  object in CdC then click the slew button it has a quite a few occasions ended up with the object being in the FOV, I think once i have it set-up as i want it and i understand EQMod properly it will be accurate all the time...I do when settting up slew to a star then open the clutches and move the scope but only on the first star if i have altered the alignment due to fiddling....

I will be bold and perhaps slightly arrogant, but the mounts of choice for permanent setups should include absolute encoders, or, at a bare minimum, homing sensors. Also, the mount should be modeled to improve tracking and pointing. Mounts that fulfill that spec cost a bit but are worth every penny. My choice for the lower weight range would be a 10Micron GM1000HPS. It never gets lost and keeps the model in-mount. Also, it gives me unguided imaging, a feature that is really nice to have.

That said, I am still modifying my good old NEQ6 to include homing sensors. Modeling will be with EQMOD and I will write the software to home the mount spearately. Should work, even if I probably wouldn't put it at a completely remote site. I have already sent away the GM2000HPS to France and the GM1000HPS is going out on an island in the Baltic soon. All that is left for the balcony pier is the NEQ6.

/per

I will be bold and perhaps slightly arrogant, but the mounts of choice for permanent setups should include absolute encoders, or, at a bare minimum, homing sensors. Also, the mount should be modeled to improve tracking and pointing. Mounts that fulfill that spec cost a bit but are worth every penny. My choice for the lower weight range would be a 10Micron GM1000HPS. It never gets lost and keeps the model in-mount. Also, it gives me unguided imaging, a feature that is really nice to have.

That said, I am still modifying my good old NEQ6 to include homing sensors. Modeling will be with EQMOD and I will write the software to home the mount spearately. Should work, even if I probably wouldn't put it at a completely remote site. I have already sent away the GM2000HPS to France and the GM1000HPS is going out on an island in the Baltic soon. All that is left for the balcony pier is the NEQ6.

/per

This is not arrogance,but a sharing of experience and knowlege.Can an unmodified AZ EQ6 be used with encoders etc for unguided imaging?If so,and as an educated guess,how long of sub?

Thanks

At what budget, though? The EQ6 costs £839. The GM1000HPS costs £6,200. That's more than "a bit", to be fair. Plus , others are very happy to autoguide.

On the other hand, begs the question: What constitutes an observatory. In many (amateur) instances - Certainly mine, a sophisticated wind-break! Actually I was aware of the concept "observatory standard"? Just not strictly applied here... :p

On the other hand, since raised, a good point. Certainly "encoders" don't seem to figure much in casual astronomer discussion! But I had a hunch that (for remote observing) this was an area on which some of this might depend depend / impinge. So interesting. The question was posed elsewhere re. a small robotic setup.  ;)

Aside: In the "garden" setting, a short time setting up in the observatory. With a reliable hardware link between house and observatory, a subset of portable or duplicate diagnostic equipment. (For Video Astronomy a small LCD Screen!) A little bit less time freezing to death? More time to ponder (share) the real-time data. :)

Good point Zakalwe! <chuckle> I had a suspicion re. the price.
I ain't quite beaten yet. Though frankly not too FAR off!  :o

At what budget, though? The EQ6 costs £839. The GM1000HPS costs £6,200. That's more than "a bit", to be fair. Plus , others are very happy to autoguide.

I think it's safe to say that many of us are stretched with our eq6 so £6000+ just ain't gonna happen. I'm happy to guide and get the best I can out of what I've got, as I was when I had an eq5.

This is not to say I wouldn't snap your arm off if you were giving away the big guns :D

I think we all agree that guiding is OK but that it would be nice to get rid of it.

Performing a ritual every night to get started is OK for most of us too. But I can tell you that it is darn cool to sit at a friend's house, a thousand miles away and start up your imaging session from the home backyard. It is even cooler to be away, come home and realise that the stuff has produced twenty hours worth of subs ;)

My balcony setup lacks only an automatic roof, but that is coming (stay tuned in the DIY obs section :)

Encoders for unguided performance are certainly expensive, but if you can accept guiding, a few simpler mounts, for instance the AZEQ6, sports low res encoders that at least makes sure the mount always knows where it is pointing, accurately enough for good goto and hassle-free alignment performed remotely.

In the lower price ranges, I would say that the AZEQ6 would certainly be short-listed in my book.

/per

I start my obs' mount, GOTO a bright star somewhere near where I'm planning in imaging, loosen the clutches to center it in the finder then use the HC to center it on the CCD, then sync on it and then GOTO the imaging target, works for me.

Still saving for GM1000HPS :)

Dave

To each their own, but for me, remote imaging would be comparable to remote marital relations.

If I was to do remote imaging (highly unlikely), I could buy a lot of time on some pretty nice rigs from amazing sites world wide for what I'm guessing would be £10k+.

As I say... this is my view and by no means the right one, (or the wrong one for that matter).

Not quite as extreme? My setup didn't cost £10,000. Or did it? lol. Certainly don't tell my *nosy* neighbours!

My investment would be truly scary! I'm HAPPY to release the clutches of my HEQ5 to find the initial star.  :D

I keep coming across these generally unanswered questions. Things I "never understood" - Have no idea etc. 

The responses are all "grist to the mill" and however random / off-topic for me... Indeed Thanks for these!  :)

Not quite as extreme? My setup didn't cost £10,000. Or did it? lol. Certainly don't tell my *nosy* neighbours!

My investment would be truly scary! I'm HAPPY to release the clutches of my HEQ5 to find the initial star.  :D

I keep coming across these generally unanswered questions. Things I "never understood" - Have no idea etc. 

The responses are all "grist to the mill" and however random / off-topic for me... Indeed Thanks for these!  :)

Oh god....I hope you didn't think my set-up is £10k....I was thinking more of a remote gm1000hps with all the trimmings.

I think you'd get mine for £2k and get change.

Archived