Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 30 Minute Challenge

Stevie P

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Only 30 mins total of Subs (1 x 30m, 2 x 15m, 15 x 2m, 30 x 1m, you get the idea...),(Be Honest)

Unlimited dark's, flats, bias etc.

Sorry I'm a total nub here but what are "flats, baisis, etc."?  I get the part about exposure time but I have no idea what the second part references, is that having to do with post processing?

Only 30 mins total of Subs (1 x 30m, 2 x 15m, 15 x 2m, 30 x 1m, you get the idea...),(Be Honest)

Unlimited dark's, flats, bias etc.

Sorry I'm a total nub here but what are "flats, baisis, etc."?  I get the part about exposure time but I have no idea what the second part references, is that having to do with post processing?

Hi good to have you aboard..

Might be better to ask in main board so as not to dilute this topic. You will find loads of info on this site about those very things...

Excellent thread and it's giving me some ideas of what I can aim at with my limited kit. An unguided EQ5 seriously limits my exposures so seeing what others can manage with short exposures gives me some confidence that I can get something. Just one request, can people mention what f ratio they're using.

Excellent thread and it's giving me some ideas of what I can aim at with my limited kit. An unguided EQ5 seriously limits my exposures so seeing what others can manage with short exposures gives me some confidence that I can get something. Just one request, can people mention what f ratio they're using.

My various camera lenses give me a focal ratio of between f3.5 and f5.6, which really helps with unguided imaging as it gets plenty of light on the chip even with short subs.

I agree with JNB, there are some amazing photos on here and it is frustrating to see how far I have to go yet in terms of capturing! Most of my images with twice as much data are a lot poorer! :grin:  I

For me, I think processing is something I need to work on more, so it might be useful if people were to add a bit of information about that as well? I don't mean full accounts/tutorials of whatthey have done, but perhaps the programme used and the main steps - e.g. Histogram Stretch, contrast, colour balanced, deconvolution (whatever that is - told you I had a long way to go!)

Just as a thought.

Very inspiring thread though!

For me, I think processing is something I need to work on more, so it might be useful if people were to add a bit of information about that as well? I don't mean full accounts/tutorials of whatthey have done, but perhaps the programme used and the main steps - e.g. Histogram Stretch, contrast, colour balanced, deconvolution (whatever that is - told you I had a long way to go!)

Hi. I often post about capture details and processing when I post my pictures in their original threads and many other posters do the same. Searching our post history may help you pick up some processing tips.

Hi all, this is my first post in quite a while (health issues and the usual excuses). Bang on the mark with this one - 10 x 3min subs at ISO 1250 + darks, flats, yada yada yada. Taken with a Canon 40D (unmodded) + 100-400mm lens @400mm on a star adventurer mount, unguided. Have to say I'm pretty pleased as it's my first ever 'real' astro image... and can I say what a great thread to add it on!!

post-23686-0-34869300-1431819931_thumb.j

~10 Minutes on the Large Magellanic Cloud. 21x30 second sub's at ISO1600.

Baader modified Canon 6D with Canon 135mm f/2 lens @ f/2. AstroTrac TT320X.

16711089849_60008043f9_b.jpg

Large Magellanic Cloud by StuartJPP, on Flickr

This is damn impressive... never have I seen such detail from so few 30 sec exposures. I guess it really helps when you've got a speedy lens hanging off the camera :). Well done you 

Thanks Scott, which reminds me that I totally forgot about this single 30 second sub of Crux. I started taking some images but after 3 subs it was totally clouded over. Only managed 1 without some cloud...oh well...Baader modified Canon 6D with Canon 135mm f/2 L lens on the AstroTrac. Taken on holiday in South Africa in March.

17284784414_359af1ffc4_b.jpg

Crux - The Southern Cross by Stuart, on Flickr

really frustrated 3 times now I have gone out only for the clouds to roll in, been trying for the pinwheel but only managed 7 subs 0f 30 secs, was trying for 60 but damm clouds. Anyway the good news is setting up is much much easier and only taking a few minutes whereas before I would have been an hour on it plus I got the focusing sussed a bit better, it is there you just have to squint and use your imagination lol

post-25141-0-96077500-1432373844_thumb.j

• 10 months later...
On 4. 9. 2014 at 00:14, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Zde je rychlý trojice Andromedas (Andromedians?) Jsem právě zpracovává.

14955036467_812aa18707_c.jpg

8 minut Andromeda (8 x 1 minuta titulky) vzít s mým Canon 1100D na William Optics krátkou ohniskovou vzdáleností refraktor.

15141336102_1bc28dcf1a_c.jpg

1 minuta Andromeda prasklo s mým 250mm objektiv se zoomem při f5.6 na modded Canon 100D.

14955147618_555db9defa_c.jpg

A 20 druhý pokus s mým 135mm Super-Takumar na F3.5 na modded 100D.

Použili funkci redukce šumu v Canon Digital Photo Professional vystřihnout to nejhorší.

These pictures are they doing over equatorial mounting. It goes without them? How do you find the constellations through the application?

• 1 month later...

Thought this thread was worth a revival, as it's a good one for showing beginners what is possible with cheap equipment and in limited time, always a concern given UK weather.

26369400203_1c0dc44e7f_b.jpg26741920083_74020e37a0_b.jpg

28 minutes around Orion with a kit lens at f5.0, no darks or flats applied. The Rosette Nebula is on the left and Aldebaran and the Hyades are on the right. Used Gradient Exterminator to zap most of the light pollution that was creeping into the lower part of the frame. I've done a bit of a write-up on this and related images if anyone is interested.

Speaking of the Rosette, here's just 10 minutes of data on it, shot with my 200mm f2.8 lens.

26391533080_b798dce466_b.jpg

Archived