92335031_Perseidsmeteorshowerbanner.jpg.f082cb58353bce3cc854fb958f76fc98.jpg

The 30 Minute Challenge

Stevie P

Here's a quick trio of Andromedas (Andromedians?) I've just processed.

14955036467_812aa18707_c.jpg

8 minute Andromeda (8 x 1 minute subs) taken with my Canon 1100D on a William Optics short focal length refractor.

15141336102_1bc28dcf1a_c.jpg

1 Minute Andromeda snapped with my 250mm zoom lens at f5.6 on a modded Canon 100D.

14955147618_555db9defa_c.jpg

A 20 second effort with my 135mm Super-Takumar at f3.5 on the modded 100D.

Used the noise reduction feature in Canon Digital Photo Professional to cut out the worst of it.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another Double Cluster, but I post this as a warning to everyone...

Don't Forget To Focus - Your Images Will Suffer If You Don't...!!!!!

attachicon.gifDoubleCluster-Final.jpg

The image is 5x300s subs with darks, flats & bias. HEQ5, ED80 with Focal Reducer, modded 60D and a IDAS D1 Light Pollution Filter.

Oh yes... if i only had rerad it before yesterday... 400 x 8 secs Light for the recycle bin.... buhuuuuuuu

• Like 1

Thinking about it all my recent images qualify for this thread, I've tried some longer runs but dew, cloud and dodgy tracking have intervened. Here's a couple I haven't posted before.

15154171392_725e1633b1_b.jpg

10 minutes on NGC 7822 in cepheus at 135mm/f3.5 with a modded 100D. I came across this nebula when browsing a scrollable panorama of the Milky Way and decided to have a quick go at imaging it. This nebula seems to be overlooked despite its large size and moderate brightness.

15036682607_7d075446c6_b.jpg

Cassiopeia at 50mm, about 24 minutes with my unmodded 1100D. Tried 4 minute subs on this one but there doesn't seem to be enough data to get any natural looking colour out of it, so I kept it almost monochrome.

• Like 5

So after about of year of struggling to get everything working at the same time last Saturday I finally got so reasonable data...

So here are my submissions to the 30 minute challenge..

Equipment used as follows:-

Mount:- HEQ5 Pro

Scope:- SW200P

Guiding:- SW 50mm Finder guider and QHY5Lii

Software:-

APT for capture of data

PHD2 for quiding

Nebulosity 3 and photshop CS3 for processing.

Results:-

M45, 12*120s lights, darks, flats and bias frames (total 24 minutes)

post-20946-0-23648200-1412624841_thumb.p

• Like 9

Nice work Hawkeye, I'm also at around the 1 year to collect the kit, now it seems that I've got another year to go, to figure out how to use it. ;)

Question: in the M45 and M42 to a lesser degree, why do the diffraction spikes seem to reverse left to right once past the approximate center of the image? (notably the 4pm/8pm long spike).

Nice work Hawkeye, I'm also at around the 1 year to collect the kit, now it seems that I've got another year to go, to figure out how to use it. ;)

Question: in the M45 and M42 to a lesser degree, why do the diffraction spikes seem to reverse left to right once past the approximate center of the image? (notably the 4pm/8pm long spike).

Hi Rich, I am still looking at buying more gear, 1st thing is a reasonable imaging scope and then a new camera.... and then another year to work out how to use them  :shocked:

As for the diffraction spikes, TBH I hadn't noticed it until you said, but I am guessing it will either be due to a poorly collimated scope or it could be caused by my home made secondary dew heater which does not fit very well  :embarrassed: but if someone on here does know what is actually causing it please let me know!

• Like 1

Good to see this thread has some traction again. Nice images Hawkeye but the first three look very purple to me, I think they'd benefit from a bit of colour balancing.

Hi Knight of Clear Skies,

The purple comes from the processing in Nebulosity 3..

I am not sure of the correct DeBayer settings I should be using for my Canon 1000D. The only way I can get the images to have any colour at all is to off set the matrix which makes the image go purple (ish), every other setting leaves the image grey.... Again if anyone knows what settings I should be using I would be really grateful for the advice.....

Was just so glad to get some images produced that I was actually willing to post on here  :eek:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Liv
      I saw another post similar to this on here and the replies seemed to be very believable and informative so I thought I’d ask here.

For the past week or so I have been sitting outside at night between 10pm and 12pm and just watching the stars come out. I haven’t been using my telescope because I didn’t feel like I would need it. The skies have been very clear and the stars beautiful but I’ve been noticing some strange happenings in the sky. I’m not saying ufos I’m just wondering what these may be, so let me explain further.
      First my mother and I witnessed a singular light, white light flying through the sky. There were no navigation lights or sounds. Just a singular light flying by, we ruled out airplanes because it was two low to be one but was also way too fast to be a helicopter. I’ve seen them twice and they always seem incredibly high up and barely distinguishable from stars. They aren’t shooting stars because they fly completely differently. Another thing I have noticed are flashes, like stars that get bigger and then suddenly disappear, like a flash. And I mean completely disappear! Now I’m sure I’ve read of these things before in one of my astronomy books but I’m honestly not sure what they could be. They fly and react different to any aircraft or stars so I’m intrigued. They also appear as if they are stars and look like they fly or flash right next to real stars. 

Now I feel like I need to note that I know a lot about astronomy it has amazed me since childhood and I am a skeptic. My family has a long history of being in the airforce, mostly as engineers and creators of new technology so when it comes to lights in the sky we usually have a good answer, but no one could explain these sightings. I also live near an airfield so I don’t understand why (if these aircraft were from there) were flying so incredibly high up, so fast and so far away from the airfield, they seemed to come out of the night and fly off and back into the dark. It was also completely clear nights with little clouds during these sightings.
      I’m asking here because I believe anyone who reads this will have a good answer for me and won’t immediately ridicule me for thinking I saw a UFO. Please let me know if there’s anything you think this could be or any questions you have! Thank you so much for reading and happy stargazing!
    • By TakMan
      Still sorting the (new to me), Atik 16200 imaging train as I try to shift from my trusty SBIG 8300, Mac to PC for mount control/capture and from a separate guide scope to the Atik OAG....
      The camera needs to go back to Atik (awaiting the email from Vince) as there is dust inside the chamber, so this is a good time to get everything checked - ready for the autumn season.
      After some imaging/testing time at the rear of Leo in the last week, I noticed on my flat frames a strange half moon light - by the dust mote (that was over-correcting the lights).

Eventually I worked out it was the screws surrounding the sensor cover window (or the 3x rounded cap screws that attach the EFW3), bouncing the light onto the back of the filter (Baader L in this example) and I suppose onto the cover window and onto the sensor. To test the theory, I opened the imaging train up and added a Sharpie pen to them. Couldn't get into the cross-heads with the pen, but with re-testing, the reflection had gone! Perhaps it would never be an issue with the actual light frames, but you never know with a bright star in the frame of a future target...?
      So today, after shifting slightly outwards the OAG stalk, I addressed the stainless steel screws 'properly', by (again), taking everything apart and lightly painting a cover of matt black acrylic paint over them and into the x-heads (a bit of overspill), nothing too heavy-handed as I didn't want to glue the things in with paint! The finished effect is duller than the pic here and the reflection has gone after another round of testing.

Always something to catch us out, hey!? Why Atik can't use black screws is another matter.....
      Perhaps this may help others out at some stage....
      Damian
    • By astrobena
      Hey everyone,
      Over the past few days i've been gathering data on M31 due to the battery not lasting long and andomeda dissapearing behind a tree, therefore the mulitple imaging sessions. So far i've been out and me being me, only took dark, bias and light frames for the first 2 sessions but for the last one i also included flats... (The lights all have very slightly different settings cause i have been experimenting slightly... that being 45sec @ ISO 400, 45sec @ ISO 200 and 50sec @ ISO 100) Now DSS assinged all the correct bias and dark frames to the corresponding light frames but because i only have flats for my last imaging session it applied those to all the different light frames and not just to the last set...(and due to me moving the telescope / taking the camera off, the dust spots have obviously been moving around and that therefor dont work at all for the other light frames...) So my question: Is there any way in DSS to apply flats to only one set of light frames and if not are there any other apps with which i can do this with?
      Many Thanks!
    • By AstroRookie
      Hello,
      when applying the flats taken in my last session (to find out what is causing the strange diffraction spikes) with Siril, the final stacked result still shows the vignetting and the dust spots. I also did the whole preprocessing with Nebulosity, same result.
      I took the flats as follows:
      same iso as my subs camera and focus not touched I use a homemade flatbox combined with the a white t-shirt with Ekos took test shots till the histogram was half-way to the left checked all my flats, they all show vignetting and the same dust spots as in my subs I tried using them with and without using a bias frame, same result, the final result looks as if no flats were used.
      Anybody any idea what is going on? An other question I have, will the vignetting and dust spots also show in the master flat (flats stacked)?
      Thanks for your help,
      AstroRookie
    • By FranTeryda
      Hi! I'm Fran
      Not so long ago I took a picture of the ISS I never thought I was going to be able to get with the equipment I have. 
      After saving for a long time, I was able to buy my first scope, an OTA Skywatcher 200P. I adapted it to be used in a dobsonian base because it was the cheapest way I had to get it to work.
      One night, I thought it might be cool to try to aim and record with my phone an ISS pass overhead. During the first attempt, I messed up the focus extremely bad but you can't  imagine how happy I was to get a white blob in a frame that only I knew was the ISS. 
      The following afternoon I tried again. This time the flyby was almost exactly overhead and the night was crystal clear. So I manually tracked the station looking through the finder scope and recording it with my phone at 1080p 60fps. Without much expectations I downloaded the files into my computer to review them.  And was shocked with the results.
      The video was processed with PIPP, AutoStakkert and RegiStax. 

If someone told me the image was taken with a phone and manually tracked with a shitty dobsonian base I would not believe him! I got really lucky that night, but I can not be happier with the results. I believe I got to the edge of what I can accomplish with the equipment that I was able to buy. I'm not sure if ext step up should be a real camera or a mount. Anyway, any of them are too expensive 😬
      If you want to see the frames before processing (and some nice shots of the moon that night), I'll leave a link to the video where I show them:

Thank you so much for reading it all.
      Cheers,
      Fran

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.