Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The 30 Minute Challenge

Stevie P

Here's a quick trio of Andromedas (Andromedians?) I've just processed.

14955036467_812aa18707_c.jpg

8 minute Andromeda (8 x 1 minute subs) taken with my Canon 1100D on a William Optics short focal length refractor.

15141336102_1bc28dcf1a_c.jpg

1 Minute Andromeda snapped with my 250mm zoom lens at f5.6 on a modded Canon 100D.

14955147618_555db9defa_c.jpg

A 20 second effort with my 135mm Super-Takumar at f3.5 on the modded 100D.

Used the noise reduction feature in Canon Digital Photo Professional to cut out the worst of it.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's another Double Cluster, but I post this as a warning to everyone...

Don't Forget To Focus - Your Images Will Suffer If You Don't...!!!!!

attachicon.gifDoubleCluster-Final.jpg

The image is 5x300s subs with darks, flats & bias. HEQ5, ED80 with Focal Reducer, modded 60D and a IDAS D1 Light Pollution Filter.

Oh yes... if i only had rerad it before yesterday... 400 x 8 secs Light for the recycle bin.... buhuuuuuuu

Thinking about it all my recent images qualify for this thread, I've tried some longer runs but dew, cloud and dodgy tracking have intervened. Here's a couple I haven't posted before.

15154171392_725e1633b1_b.jpg

10 minutes on NGC 7822 in cepheus at 135mm/f3.5 with a modded 100D. I came across this nebula when browsing a scrollable panorama of the Milky Way and decided to have a quick go at imaging it. This nebula seems to be overlooked despite its large size and moderate brightness.

15036682607_7d075446c6_b.jpg

Cassiopeia at 50mm, about 24 minutes with my unmodded 1100D. Tried 4 minute subs on this one but there doesn't seem to be enough data to get any natural looking colour out of it, so I kept it almost monochrome.

So after about of year of struggling to get everything working at the same time last Saturday I finally got so reasonable data...

So here are my submissions to the 30 minute challenge..

Equipment used as follows:-

Mount:- HEQ5 Pro

Scope:- SW200P

Guiding:- SW 50mm Finder guider and QHY5Lii

Software:-

APT for capture of data

PHD2 for quiding

Nebulosity 3 and photshop CS3 for processing.

Results:-

M45, 12*120s lights, darks, flats and bias frames (total 24 minutes)

post-20946-0-23648200-1412624841_thumb.p

Nice work Hawkeye, I'm also at around the 1 year to collect the kit, now it seems that I've got another year to go, to figure out how to use it. ;)

Question: in the M45 and M42 to a lesser degree, why do the diffraction spikes seem to reverse left to right once past the approximate center of the image? (notably the 4pm/8pm long spike).

Nice work Hawkeye, I'm also at around the 1 year to collect the kit, now it seems that I've got another year to go, to figure out how to use it. ;)

Question: in the M45 and M42 to a lesser degree, why do the diffraction spikes seem to reverse left to right once past the approximate center of the image? (notably the 4pm/8pm long spike).

Hi Rich, I am still looking at buying more gear, 1st thing is a reasonable imaging scope and then a new camera.... and then another year to work out how to use them  :shocked:

As for the diffraction spikes, TBH I hadn't noticed it until you said, but I am guessing it will either be due to a poorly collimated scope or it could be caused by my home made secondary dew heater which does not fit very well  :embarrassed: but if someone on here does know what is actually causing it please let me know!

Good to see this thread has some traction again. Nice images Hawkeye but the first three look very purple to me, I think they'd benefit from a bit of colour balancing.

Hi Knight of Clear Skies,

The purple comes from the processing in Nebulosity 3..

I am not sure of the correct DeBayer settings I should be using for my Canon 1000D. The only way I can get the images to have any colour at all is to off set the matrix which makes the image go purple (ish), every other setting leaves the image grey.... Again if anyone knows what settings I should be using I would be really grateful for the advice.....

Was just so glad to get some images produced that I was actually willing to post on here  :eek:

Archived