SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to tell the wife...?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I always play this issue with a straight bat and tell Mrs L the truth - the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Whether she chooses to believe that something so small that makes such a minimal difference (as she sees it) to my images can possibly cost so much is entirely a matter for her!

Also, on the subject of truth; if good second hand astro gear goes for about 65% of its new price - surely its true cost is only 35% of the receipted value? A 10 Micron 1000HPS for just over £2k? - Bargain!  :rolleyes:

Steve

Money doesn't mean anything in my household - for everything is based on shoes and handbags.....

For example a nice televue nagler eyepiece = 1 pair of shoes or 1/4 of a new handbag.....

Its not how you tell the missus - its how you need to justify/equate it in her language ;)

May I ask how many pair of shoes and handbags does she have?? :)

Yes, my FSQ-85 was only £340 ;)  I got that under the radar very successfully.  I have spent about £8000 since January 2012.  She is none the wiser and long may that deception continue.  I now have my eyes on building an observatory and a Takahashi TOA150.  Really though, I am happy with my lot now.  Those things can wait, maybe for several years in the case of the scope.  Those TOA150s are only £700 aren't they? ;)

the best policy is dont tell your wife that your buying anything that way your not lieing about any costs

I generally try to get stuff delivered when i know the wife is out for the day, just means getting to speak to the retailer to confirm its in stock and will be posted for next day delivery, big stuff i just tell her and clear off to me workshop......

Christmas is of course the best time of year to take delivery of all your illicit bits of kit.  I just sweep deliveries out of sight saying something along the lines of "not wanting to spoil the surprise" and my wife thinks it's her Christmas present and doesn't ask any further questions. :grin:

Christmas is of course the best time of year to take delivery of all your illicit bits of kit.  I just sweep deliveries out of sight saying something along the lines of "not wanting to spoil the surprise" and my wife thinks it's her Christmas present and doesn't ask any further questions. :grin:

I could do with that stunt at the moment with my current major purchase of 2013; but as she knows I`m only getting her an M&S voucher , I think it will be difficult to convince her that they now send out vouchers in large boxes 3` long x 18" wide.....could be worth a try though!!??

Wait for the 'I was shopping today and saw this lovely dress for £500, but I decided not to buy it so with the £500 I saved (female logic!) I bought 2 skirts, a top and a handbag'.

Then, go to the Astrofest (or your local scope shop!) and say 'I saw a great scope today for £500 but decided not to buy it, so with the money I saved I bought 2 new eyepieces, some filters, some books etc.'

Tried this once with camera gear, the scars don't show too badly!

Stupid modern technology. We went out to our annual Christmas night away with friends, one of whom is into astrophotography. After a couple of bottles of wine we started chatting about kit. "What mount are you going to get, a HEQ5? an EQ6?" He asks.

A few seconds later there is a choking noise from my wife, and I look over to see the FLO website open on her phone... busted...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Stupid modern technology. We went out to our annual Christmas night away with friends, one of whom is into astrophotography. After a couple of bottles of wine we started chatting about kit. "What mount are you going to get, a HEQ5? an EQ6?" He asks.

A few seconds later there is a choking noise from my wife, and I look over to see the FLO website open on her phone... busted...

So, same question which mount?  :p

So, same question which mount? :p

I am thinking about trying to find a second hand EQ6 after Christmas. It is just going to have a DSLR mounted on it to begin with (because there is no such thing as over-kill). I am hoping that santa brings a few people an EQ8 ;)

If nothing comes up then I might wait for a month after Stargazing Live to pick up one that someone bought on impulse and never used.

In the meantime (and to stop me impulse buying) I am going to make a barn door mount over Christmas

• 4 months later...

From what you guys have all been up too, it would seem that my slush fund bank account (no cards, books or paperwork) that I can transfer funds into or out of from my normal account at will. That or transfer cash from joint account to my account to slush account. When the time comes to buy anything, anything under £50, comes from my normal account, anything big means a funds transfer to mummy. Benefit being it'll be delivered to mum as well!

Fortunately I can get away with the odd splurge on new toys without encountering too much wrath from 'she who must be obeyed'. When Mr. postman comes calling & she starts to give me one of those special looks of disapproval, I simply remind her that she only has herself to blame. She's the one that got me into all this in the first place when she decided it would be good if I joined in with her little hobby so we could do something together. Foolish woman  :grin:

Besides, as my dear old nan used to say; "Don't tell lies. That way you never have to try & remember everything

This expression, 'The wife...'

Does it really belong in the 21st century?

A bit numpty, no?

Or is it me?

Olly

Olly, I am frequently referred to as 'the boy', so I actually think 'the wife' is quite complimentary in comparison! :-)

Stu (aged 44 and nearly a half ;-) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like to see my wife irritated and stressed so I therefore have items posted to my friends house.

My wife is partial to irritation when seeing parcels delivered but once items are in the house it's bearable. :grin:

My Mrs, sorry Olly, the lovely Mrs Maksutov has become a lot more relaxed about my purchases since I started selling kit to balance the books a little better. If she sees a regular stream of parcels heading to the post office, the arrival of a few doesn't cause an issue.

I can also recommend buying scopes with the same colour scheme and getting them out one at a time ;-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiding stuff from "the wife"?

The only advice that I can give is get a divorce and maybe start a relationship with someone that you can trust and that trusts you in return?

Divorce: Helping selfish so-and-sos like me get their own way since 1533 :grin:

Hiding stuff from "the wife"?

The only advice that I can give is get a divorce and maybe start a relationship with someone that you can trust and that trusts you in return?

Divorce: Helping selfish so-and-sos like me get their own way since 1533 :grin:

Stephen's marriage guidance counselling service is available Monday to Friday.  If you're not sure how to cope with your partner going ballistic when that new Tak and Atik 11000 arrive, please do give him a call and he'll sort it all out :D

James

Stephen's marriage guidance counselling service is available Monday to Friday.  If you're not sure how to cope with your partner going ballistic when that new Tak and Atik 11000 arrive, please do give him a call and he'll sort it all out :D

James

814.gif

Do it...after all, what could possibly go wrong? :Envy:

I have the number of a good divorce lawyer on speed-dial.

Did I also mention that I have rooms to rent? Reasonable rates. Comes with a large shed to store all your worldly possessions (once you've collected them off the front lawn...)

Other marriage guidance services are available. The value of your investments can go down as well as up. Past performance is no indication of future returns.

:grin: :grin:

814.gif

Do it...after all, what could possibly go wrong? :Envy:

I have the number of a good divorce lawyer on speed-dial.

Did I also mention that I have rooms to rent? Reasonable rates. Comes with a large shed to store all your worldly possessions (once you've collected them off the front lawn...)

Other marriage guidance services are available. The value of your investments can go down as well as up. Past performance is no indication of future returns.

:grin: :grin:

Front Lawn? I think my wife has a better throwing arm that that ;)

Archived