Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to tell the wife...?

I'm the lucky half that gets to cook the books for the collective empire twice per month. All evens out in the end. Saw some shocking receipts mid month from the hair salon and was thinking that would get me over half way to a beautiful new APO Frac! But she turned an understanding eye to my ultimate midlife splurge on the BMW earlier in the year! Bet she was thinking how many nails, hair extensions and the like that would be :)

The only complaint I get about the hobby is my nocturnal wanderings, moving astro gear in and out the house, and bumps in the night that disturb her beauty sleep :) :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazed that nobody has played the 'It's good for the children' card. All my purchases promise to enhance their education and life experience no end.

So far they've spent about ten minutes looking at Jupiter.

I've spent weeks and weeks and weeks desperately trying to get something that resembles a half decent astrophoto!

Love this post! We can all relate. I had to be careful even telling my wife I bought a used scope for $50.   They seem to get over it eventually. Will cost me painting a ceiling, some face cream, probably some wine too. Now on to a new eyepiece.  I do always tell the truth though even if it hurts.  I usually sell something else to pay for new things, seems to soften the blow.

Amazed that nobody has played the 'It's good for the children' card. All my purchases promise to enhance their education and life experience no end.

So far they've spent about ten minutes looking at Jupiter.

I've spent weeks and weeks and weeks desperately trying to get something that resembles a half decent astrophoto!

I played that card, and my children's school saw a photo of my two girls with one of my scopes.

A phone call later by the school and I was asked to give a demonstration to the whole school.

It was worth taking the whole day off work to spark such interest.

Remember you are not under arrest although you may be under intense scrutiny. You do not have to say anything, and indeed everything you do say will be misinterpreted to the fullest extent. Deny everything at all times and when all seems lost smile, look her in the eyes and convincingly refer to the cost as if you had purchased in American dollars. Do not talk in your sleep. Do not eat any mushrooms she may cook for you for a few months. Try and live with your guilt as if you worked in politics or banking. P.S. The January sales start soon.

Cheers,

Steve.

I have an easy fix. My wife and I keep separate bank accounts and separate finances altogether. If we pay for stuff together, one pays and the other calculates precisely half (to the penny) and transfers online to the one that paid. This way, ensuring we can pay for essentials, we can each do whatever we want with our money without need to say anything.

Everything that i buy in a online shop have some free extras included with the  equipment.... :grin:

For example my Mak 127 include 2 +  2  eyepieces and a clamp for the tripod, and my future Eq mount will come with two extra eyepieces...For she  Ep are very small and seems to  be very cheap.

The next step will be buy a Zoom eyepiece that will have some gifts from the shop as some filters  and  extra EP, or a dielectric diagonal.

The solar telescope will be difficult , because is very small and expensive ,but i can buy something that includes a small and cheap telescope or finderscope  for the sun.

Mrs Baggy can spot a bill or receipt at 2 parsecs and has a memory that can remember what she bought for what on a particular day....a very dangerous combination. Is she were old enough she would probably know what the Big Bang cost.

What you need to do is wear her down, i have practice this dark art for 30 years or more just buy stuff and let her sign for it,  and now my dear wife just signs for packages and puts them on my desk, of course there are some that slip through the net, when i know she plans a day out, like next Monday....this week she signed (on Monday ) for a Astrosap flexie heat dew shield, on Thursday she will sigh for a Dual fit desiccant cap, But next Monday i will sign for a 2" Filter... :)

Well speaking for females I can tell you males that we only tell you things on a 'Need to Know' basis, and then only the barest of facts if absolutely neccessary.  So I think that's Love All - or is it Game, Set and Match?

Brenda  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:

Well speaking for females I can tell you males that we only tell you things on a 'Need to Know' basis, and then only the barest of facts if absolutely neccessary.

Well, we do get confused easily if you tell us more than one thing at a time. ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Well speaking for females I can tell you males that we only tell you things on a 'Need to Know' basis, and then only the barest of facts if absolutely neccessary.  So I think that's Love All - or is it Game, Set and Match?

Brenda  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:

Nice to hear the other side of the story, we're not really that different  :rolleyes:

This is only my second post on SGL as I joined today;  I`m in the process of finalising my first `proper scope ect` ; I will tell my wife it cost about 1/3rd  of its actual cost.................she will still say, "WHAT...How much??". I know she won`t think of `googleing` the items so I should be safe!??

See this is what happens when your honest. My cat recently passed away so I'm looking for a replacement. I've found the perfect one, a pedigree Ragdoll just twenty miles away, £400..... HOW MUCH!!! Apparently we (I) can squander 6 times that much decorating the bedroom though...

I'm playing the Joker card on this one. One picture shown to the boys gets me Kiddy Pester Power! Resistance is futile :lol:

Yay Pester Power! We pick him up in January :)

Posted Image

Love my wife's argument that for the price of this cat I could get about 5 of those Televue thingies for my scope ;) Actually I could have got an Explore Scientific 20mm 100. But just look at the cuteness! Maybe honesty can work with the correct level of manipulation lol.

Archived