SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My First DSO

Sam

Well here it is, my first ever DSO, M42. Shot from 1, 60 sec exposure with my newly modded Philips SPC 900NC.

I need to get the alignment sorted a bit better and work out what camera settings will give a reasonable picture. I am pretty happy I managed to get something on the camera and sort of get it focused though.

here it is:

2997_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

A tiny bit of processing in Gimp to move the middle of the levels.

cheers

Sam

Hi Sam , its a good start , reminds me of my first one , taking the same subject , just keep at it now ,its along learning curve , Ah Tracking is not guiding Sam , with good polar alignment you should be able to get say 45secs unguided , depending on the focal length of the scope.

Rog :D

I'm going to have to upgrade my mount to get into guiding then - it's the basic HEQ5 without the the little computer thingy and the step motors.

Don't rush into that yet LB. Try 30-45 second subs and lots of them. I bet you'll like the result. :-)

I'm going to have to upgrade my mount to get into guiding then - it's the basic HEQ5 without the the little computer thingy and the step motors.

Even the basic HEQ5 should get you 60 seconds without trailing if you get the polar alignement done with the inbuilt polar 'scope. No need to do drift aligning unless you go to 120 seconds.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Thanks Guys,

I'll work on sorting the polar alignment. It'll be a while before I'll save enough pennies to buy a good camera and hence not going to worry about the guiding malarkey until then. I have to admit I was a bit rough with the polar alignment as I wanted to see the camera in action as fast a possible - new toy excitement!

cheers

Sam

Archived