Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Not cut out for astronomy?

Hi Paul,

I find this japanese heattech clothing to be great for keeping me warm:

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/clothing/uq/heattech/men/

Also if you think there might be good skies the next evening, have an early night. I find my tolerance to cold goes really quick if im tired.

You can take it in stages too, find out what body parts start getting cold first and fix them. I find my legs can get cold but its not a problem. But cold feet, hands or neck will have me heading for the house in short order. ( Speaking of which, I really need better boots, thats my limiting factor right now )

If you are sitting at the scope, try an old cushion rather than just a plastic or thin foam seat, an old sleeping bag can be handy too.

Another thing might be smaller targeted observations rather than long sessions.You can do some planning on what you want to observe beforehand. Set up some targets ( split  x number of double in auriga for instance) , get the scope out to cool down then in the house, check the positions in stellarium, get your maps sorted and then go out.

Even if its not a long session, if you get to make some good observations, you will feel a sense of accomplishment.

All the best mate

Mark

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too have really struggled with motivation to get out and observe over the years for all the reasons you state and more. However the thing that really re-vitalised my astro-activity in a huge way was imaging. Some good reasons why imaging might make astronomy more do-able for you:

- You can get the imaging session started and then go indoors to warm up while the camera does its thing.

- You can come away from an imaging session with loads of images that you can can have fun playing with over the next days and weeks of cloudy nights!

- You have a permanent record of your night's hard work, which is better motivation to get out in the first place

- You can have lots of fun testing, tweaking and improving your imaging equipment during the day when it's warm

- A basic astro-photo with modest equipment can show you much more than you will ever see visually

You can start with a DSLR piggy backed to your existing scope and go from there. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Just an alternative line of thought for you!

The best thing for keeping warm is layers, lots and lots and lots of layers. Start with thermals (both thermal T-shirt and long johns) and then proceed to pile on the layers. Don't think that 4 hoodies / jackets with a t-shirt and long sleeved t-shirt plus coat is too much, you should be wearing enough to sweat inside with mild physical activity...

I was a bit too warm last night in all honesty!

im known as flip flop man in my house. I often used to go through the process of long johns, three top layers thermal socks coat , trapper hat ( cheap one fron amazon that REALLY works and keeps my ears warm) and ive got big ears !  anyway i put all this gear on ,then off into the garden with flip flops on :grin:

but i do suffer abit in the cold on a serious note, i can find it difficult to get motivated . however i have also found once im concentrating on locating an object or sketching at the eyepiece ,i forget the temperature and time flies.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at the skies and the first time I saw saturn's rings i was quite moved...

But, this time of year no matter how many layers of clothing /hats etc I put on, I end up loosing interest due to the cold after about half an hour, which is barely time to set everything up and align the scope properly. Then just to compound things, I suffer quite badly if i don't get enough sleep and so in summer months I'm usually in bed before it goes dark.

Can anyone offer any encouragement?

Thanks

Paul

I can sympathise with you Paul as it does it really cold particularly up here in the north! - most of my observing is in short bursts if i'm honest, Its hard to get a clear night sometime so as soon as its clear I am grab and go. If you feel you can't stay out there too long maybe try and get something more portable like a good quality small frac and then you can probably be out there 15 mins setting up and just catch a few mins of the moon or jupiter and if you are not a late night person Venus is pretty bright this time of year around 5ish can be seen noticed just by eye.

At the end of the day nothing in the night sky is going to disappear over night so maybe just take it slow and build up your tolerance to the cold but I hope you stick at it because personally I find it amazing.

Good Luck :)

I think many astronomers have nights when they cant be bothered, I know i do, but this is how I manage my doubts...

winter is my main season, once the clocks go back.

summer is my closed season for pimping my scope and only viewing special events.

If the moons up then I only bother with planetary or lunar.

Nights with no moon, I do an observing list then work through it.

if I know its gonna be a good clear night then I set up early to let things cool down and means everything is ready for me.

if I cant really be bothered then I have agrab and go setup in case I fancy 30mins under the stars

I plan a few star camps in throuh the year to keep me focussed.

I keep my kit simple and organised to make things easier.

I have my warm clothes al in one placemso im not stressing about a lost glove or where my hat has gone.

and finally, ifmi cant be bothered then so what..... just log onto SGL, its only anhobby after all so do it how you want.

cheers

Astronymonkey sums it up perfectly. The only difference for me is that I do like summer observing when it's warm. I don't usually have to get up the next day so the hours of darkness are accessible.

As far as the winter is concerned, I find that I don't notice the cold if things are going well but as soon as I feel the cold I pack in, at least for a while.

I recently found some 'thermal' trousers in a local shop. I haven't tried them outside yet but they do seem to be warm and comfortable. 

Santa is also bringing me some Astrogloves which should help too 

Kerry 

Aswell as some decent quality base layers to keep you warm, too much clothing can become obstructive and make moving awkward,  try standing on a wooden platform / small pallet, the ground gets very cold and having something to stand on makes all the difference :smiley:

I know what you mean, I got frozen last night and I only stayed up until 12 ish, the Moon then took over. Was nice and clear but I was prepared.

Stopping your extremities getting cold is tricky. I did go and get a hat after a bit. Good socks and footwear and many layers should help. I know how you feel, my feel get very cold and that makes me feel cold all over.

And then there's the hands. I found myself getting clumsy once my hands were icy. What do people do about gloves in order to still be able to operate the equipment yet not freeze?

It doesn't help using a metal bodies mac book pro outside, it gets very COLD and made my hands freeze even more quickly.

I'd say if you're still interested in it, stick at it and invest in the clothing and accessories you need. If you get intro imaging you can spend most of the time indoors while the setup captures photons, well that's what I'm starting to find anyway. People can survive in arctic conditions so it must be largely down to appropriate clothing.

I know what you mean, I got frozen last night and I only stayed up until 12 ish, the Moon then took over. Was nice and clear but I was prepared.

Stopping your extremities getting cold is tricky. I did go and get a hat after a bit. Good socks and footwear and many layers should help. I know how you feel, my feel get very cold and that makes me feel cold all over.

And then there's the hands. I found myself getting clumsy once my hands were icy. What do people do about gloves in order to still be able to operate the equipment yet not freeze?

It doesn't help using a metal bodies mac book pro outside, it gets very COLD and made my hands freeze even more quickly.

I'd say if you're still interested in it, stick at it and invest in the clothing and accessories you need. If you get intro imaging you can spend most of the time indoors while the setup captures photons, well that's what I'm starting to find anyway. People can survive in arctic conditions so it must be largely down to appropriate clothing.

Put them on until you need to use something then take them off. There is no ideal solution as increased warmth in the hands decreases dexterity. Same problem in cycling.

Since this was asked I was adding up the cost of the clothing I will wear on one night to remain warm and not uncomfortable:

Down Jacket:   £120

Thermal layers:   £55

Snow Boots:   £30

Hats: From £5 to £70

Socks:  £20

Gloves:  £20

I find I am OK in normal trousers so not included.

The above is for one instance only, I have 6-8 different thermal layers but the £55 is for 2 that I will wear on one night (not the most costly 2 either), I have 3 down jackets, the bigger astro use pair are £120 each. 2 sets of boots so the £30 is for one set, that I got reduced by luck - they were £70-80 originally. Hats I have 3 good sheepskin trapper hats, the best was £70, others not much less.

The above for a warm night comes to £315. :eek: :eek: :eek:

So when it is said a scope is just the start, we/you had better realise that clothing may be a big additional part of what is to come.

A good down jacket with one or two (on a cold night) fleeces underneath. An 'arctic' type coat with padded hood for frosty nights (with the fleeces) means I am boiling :)

For me gloves are really important and quality counts.

The first rule of Astronomy club is that there are no rules.

If in the depths of winter all you feel you can manage before cold sets in is a 30 min session then by all means make that your limit. Dont include set-up in that 30 mins. Set-up before you plan to go out.

You really dont need to get used to the cold, if you are dressed correctly. With the right clothing, you will be as warm outside as you are inside with the heating on. 

Regarding sleep and tiredness......................the simple solution is to get out at a time that suits you and spend as long or as little time as you want outside. During winter, i like to go out about 6-7pm and i'm normally back inside by 9-10pm. 

Its been about 5 yrs now since i pulled an all night session (7pm-5am). I'm now happy with 2-3hrs (earlier the better).

I dont do any observing during "summer" (June-Sept) as by the time it gets dark,i am already too hooked on doing other stuff to even bother. 

So,dont give up. Dress for the weather to keep warm,get out at a time that suits you and get a good nights sleep afterwards.

This thread is really good. Most people who start out in astronomy never consider the cold winters (when i think the skies are at their best). 

I think most options have already been covered here, however I to suffer from the cold and also used to feel terrible with lack of sleep.

I wear a base layer fleecy shirt or micro fleece, a good wool jumper and a Thermal all in one suit (Dickies) or a fisher mans suit. Warm boots with heated in soles from Maplin and a trapper hat. Also don't wear jeans they don't hold much heat try cords or I got some fleece trousers from M&S.

As regards sleep, it is very important to keep hydrated, but not tea and coffee. I now make sure I drink plenty of water, at least 2 litres through the day, last night got to bed at 1 am up again at 07:30 no problem!

...........its 2°C outside, I`m in my socks and dressing-gown, No woolly hat or gloves, just to try and test my newest lens that arrived today, by trying to spot Jupiter in the cloud gaps. I  don't even think the telescope has  cooled down properly  since 2300 Hrs   Pure dedication! The lens works well too (25mm)

For me, a Dob scope with casters (wheels) mounted on the bottom of it...  wheel it out of the garage...   Setup time < 1 minute.

For winter time viewing, you have to put as much into your clothing apparel as you do your scope setups...

Good multi-layer setup and it makes hanging outside in brrrrrrrrrr weather very tolerable.

At the very least, for nights when it is below freezing temps, have a grab-n-go scope handy to setup - reduce your setup times by a LOT...

Thanks for all the thoughts - plenty to think about.

I don't normally suffer from the cold (as an exiled northerner) maybe its because this hobby involves a lot of sitting doing nothing. For reference, What i usually wear is thick wooly hiking socks and wells on my feet, jeans, a thin cotton long-sleeved shirt, fleece and winter coat, insulated hat and gloves. So I feel like I should be OK...

Maybe I just need to man up a bit and take a flask out with me  :grin:

I HATE the cold so

Thermal fleece base layer shirt and bottoms

Snowboarding mid layer shirt

Ski jacket

Snow trousers

Merino wool socks over skinny socks

British Army artic boots (make sure your boots been warmed up before putting them)

Mitts

Ushanka style hat.

Toasty!

I partly solved the problem by getting an observatory. It is almost 'cosy' and great not  only for keeping out any stray lights but also the wind.  And I also discovered imaging, so far mainly planetary.  No need to spend lots of time out in the cold.  And with the observatory I have the scope permanently setup so I don't spend ages setting it.  Costly, yes but worth it.

Archived