Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New ZWO camera... $128!

long_arms

Hello, 

First of all I have no affiliation with ZWO whatsoever, I don't even own one of their cameras yet although I expect buy an ASI120mm shortly. 

I saw today that they've announced a new colour camera. The ASI034MC, and its £80 at current exchange rate!! ($128) 

Have they killed off the SPC900's? I've seen these go for more than £80. 

110fps at 640x480, built in IR cut, it sounds like a steal. 

Potentially a decent guider as well, I'm tempted to get one. Perhaps at christmas. 

Here it is...thoughts? 

http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Cameras/ASI034/index.as

Dan

Don't jump on framerate. The object would have to be very bright to allow exposure so low that the camera would go at ~100 FPS. And as a color camera it can't do bright L channels like a mono camera. Sun is bright but a color camera is a limitation, for Moon too. If you wanted mono - stick to that ;)

Oh sorry when I said I was tempted I didn't mean instead of the 120mm, just tempted to get one as well as the 120 for quick colour images of planets, when I can't be bothered with filter wheels etc. 

For those who do want a colour camera and are always recommended the Philips webcam...this has to be on the list of recommendations now surely?

Does it have a ST4 port? I'm not that clued up with these types of cameras, how does this compare with say the QHY5 for example is it a lesser spec? its certainly cheaper and looks great!

Chris

I don't think it does have an ST-4 port although on the facebook group it says something about a USB to St-4 adapter for guiding if you don't want to use phd and ascom. There are some more knowledgeable people on here who I'm sure will answer your QHY5 question properly, but my guess is that the QHY5 is superior...but at a cost. 

Dan  :rolleyes: 

By the way here's ZWO's facebook post about the camera, 

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=581726881876539&set=a.442760575773171.89500.442194685829760&type=1&theater

The blurb says it will do 60 second LX exposures. Couple that with a T2-CS adapter and a fisheye and you have the makings of a cheap all-sky camera.

Now I wonder if the chip (it's called a "ccd", but has *exactly* the same response as a QHY5L-II C) can be cooled?

Hmmm.

I ordered one on Friday and it arrived yesterday (Monday)

I got my first light with it this morning before work so this shot is taken through an uncooled camera and I also used Firecapture for the first time so all the settings are at their defaults.

Skywatcher 200p

Tal 2x barlow

Best 75% of 2000 frames in Registax.

Paul

post-5483-0-93178400-1385448459_thumb.jp

I ordered one on Friday and it arrived yesterday (Monday)

I got my first light with it this morning before work so this shot is taken through an uncooled telescope and I also used Firecapture for the first time so all the settings are at their defaults.

Skywatcher 200p

Tal 2x barlow

Best 75% of 2000 frames in Registax.

Paul

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

The specification on the ZWO page says it is CMOS.  No idea what sensor though.  They claim it's as sensitive as the ICX618 in the DxK21.618 cameras.

If it matches the marketing it will be excellent to have a viable alternative to the SPC900 at a not-excessive price.  I think there's a real market for a camera

at that kind of price that allows beginners to get into solar system imaging and stand a chance of producing decent results.

James

I've just looked at the specs on the website for this again and it suggests that the camera does 364x256 at 2x binning.  Is there any way that can be useful or even meaningful with a colour camera?

James

Yes, I recall the thread now you mention it.  I think I came out of that thread with a better understanding of some of the things that happen in processing DSLR images, but not particularly why binning a colour image would be really useful.  Especially in a fast framerate camera.  The more complex debayering algorithms take time and need reasonable processing power.  You don't tend to get that in such a simple camera running at high framerates.  I might have to ask Sam on the ZWO users forum.  I've made a note to come back to that at some point for my image capture app.  For the time being I shall ignore it :)

James

All the time, as far as I'm aware.  But the ASI130 is far noisier than the ASI120 models I believe.

James

True: the ASI130 has annoying pattern noise that can in largely be removed by darks and flats (I use darks for solar on the ASI130, it is that evident). The ASI120 has no such problems

Archived