SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beautiful mercury/ Ison frustration

Joe_L

Stunning sight of mercury this morning, gold against the lightening sky. Breathtaking. 

As for Ison, I was hoping to see the two close to each other but as luck would have it there was a large bank of cloudcovering Ison. Through my bins I could see the wind seemed to be blowing the cloud away and yet the edge never moved - it was one of those times when the cloud was being created as fast as it was blowing away so the edge never moved out of the way. Then it got too light. Frustrating, but Mercury made it worthwhile getting up early.

Joe

Frustration is not the word.

I was out down on Sandown beach at 05:00 (10X50s and 8cm reflector) to be there when Mercury / Ison lifted from the horizon.

I found that, although the sky was clear all over, including the horison south of SSE was clear, there was a band of murk

reaching 2.5 degrees upwards, across the sea from NNE through to the SE under Spica.

I waited and waited, and eventually (around 06:00) Mercury showed itself about 3 degs up and very bright, Searched from

spica-line down past the right hand side of mercury as well as constantly slow sweeping the cloud horizon both ways until

07:00 with no sign of ISON Whatsoever!  This even though the skies above the low line of clouds was good, and showing

stars of around mag 6 in the binos even late on.

06:45 Even Saturn had joined the party and the sky was getting far too bright, so when the clouds then started drifting

across from the north By 07:00 I quit the beach and had another sweep from upstairs at home (I am frozen). still

no dice.

I had hoped that the comet would be bright enough to see easily with such a good marker as Mercury as it is supposed to

be around mag 4? but this is the third time I have failed to see it Low down in as many days, some due to clouds but others

in a sky it should have showed itself in.

Its a good job I looked at Lovejoy with my 20cm (Absolutely spectacular, and still good in Binos from the beach dedspite

being up near the moon) before I set out, and also for seeing Saturn so low and early after it rounded

the Sun or I would have had a wasted morning indeed.                Good grief its cold out there this morning.

Still, Mustn't grumble

Mick

Same experience in Bristol. Lovejoy was amazing and easy to pick up in the breaks in the cloud.

Also tried Nevski right of Leo but nothing in the 80mm bins....must still be faint!

i also kept sweeping right of Mercury with no joy.....

but

Clear skies forecast tonight so I will try again!

Mark

Same here. Break in the clouds after 6.30 in the area - quite clear in the rest of sky.  Mercury a lovely salmon glow looked in 10x50s then the telescope but nothing. Then by 7ish it's very light so stop trying. It's close to Mercury a matter of degrees so must have been in the field of view.  

From memory am i sure i saw Panstarrs under similar bright conditions.

andrew

OK that makes me feel better about the bank of cloud if it wasn't visible anyway. I did think it was marginal with how light the sky was getting anyway.  We'll just have to wait until it's swung round the sun,but you just KNOW what's going to happen, don't you!

>when the clouds then started drifting across from the north

Sorry Mick, that was me trying to waft them further south!!

Archived