Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

November 21, 2013: Another bash at Lovejoy, no sign of Nevski

What time does Lovejoy get high enough in the UK at the moment?

Here's my recent observations and times....

Comet Lovejoy......November 19th  01.40

November 20th  01.05....very visible despite poor conditions..maybe mag 4 or 5

November 22nd 00.55....quite bright...mag 4.5 or so

It's probably better visible later than those times, as it rises higher in the sky and passes almost overhead.

Worth noting that it should now also be visible just after sunset, and today (22nd) I'm going to have a go at that.

What time does Lovejoy get high enough in the UK at the moment?

It will depend where you are , im at 55 north and can see it in the evening above the northern horizon below the handle of the plough. I posted a thread about this in observing reports and a couple of folks further south than me could see it, so depending on where you are you might not have to crawl out of bed early.

I spotted Lovejoy with the bins in the evening at about 7 p.m on Nov 22nd and 23rd, no bother. Certainly as bright as M13 which is a little way to the west (and not dissimilar in appearance). 

Also a shedload of bright speedy dots hurtling along what I can only assume is the satellite superhighway, tracking from the west through the general region just below the plough. Never noticed that through my scopes - must be the wider fov!

Archived