Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ortho vs plossl for planetary

Daniel-K

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a bit of a comparison the other night without going to my usual lengths and whilst I prefer the 18mm Kasai orthoscopic for use i think I would come down on the side of better view with the 15mm TV Plossl, though I am finding it hard work to view with, they are not very Alan friendly.

The focal range is too much in my books for this to be taken too seriously but when I popped in the 14mm Delos in the LX this was better still, I even thought the scatter control on Jupiter was a league above, another night though I may feel different which is why I always try to get a minimum of two nights per target when I do a review.

Either way good value on any of these eyepieces for under 100 pounds and secondhand under 60 pounds. I don't regert buying the set from 5mm to 18mm though there are a trio of makes in there, BGO, Hutech and the one Kasai.

Alan

For this discussion's sake, I bought and compared a pair of UO HD Phase II Orthos, Sterling Plossls & Tele Vue Plossls, all 25mm focal length, in monoview and binoview modes, and the TV Plossls came out on top. I'd love to compare them to Tak's and Brandon's sometime, but I don't want to bother as I'd prefer to have more fov..

So far a Radian 14mm has given me the best view of Jupiter, as well a barlowed 25mm tv plossl pair. I can't wait to try the Delos 12mm I just happened to get! All this in a C8 Edge HD.

For this discussion's sake, I bought and compared a pair of UO HD Phase II Orthos, Sterling Plossls & Tele Vue Plossls, all 25mm focal length

I've often wondered to what extent results at one F/L can be extrapolated to another...

Has anyone observed results that cross-over at a certain F/L?

A point to make in this discussion is that the Plossl eyepiece is also an orthoscopic eyepiece.

Perhaps on paper, but in practice usually not in my experience. Then again, an optical designer on cloudynights stated that even orthos are not typically truly "orthoscopic" in practice, as designers like to tweak some of the radii to improve other aspects of performance...

Archived