Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

West Sussex Observing Group - 19th November Report & Photos

Hi all - just reporting back some feedback from last nights observing session - sorry for new thread but we can't create a new social group.

Met up with Paul and Anthony at the main location which is drying out, so we were able to set up fairly easily. Each of us have different scopes, so we were able to see a variety of objects, stars and planets at different magnifications easily. Anthony picked out Uranus as a lovely jade distinct ball, but Neptune was too illusive. He also tested out his home made focuser which worked brilliantly! Now I want one! All of us tried out filters on the Moon as well which was particularly bright, casting shadows and blotting out DSOs. 

Then Jupiter appeared, taking on the Moons glare. The 4 moons were easily seen, three on one side, one right out on the other (Ganymede, Europa, Io and right out Callisto). We could all see the N and SEBs easily. Around 9:30 the temperatures really started to drop with dew shooting right past to frost! Poor Anthonys power supply came out so he lost his alignment as well! As we started to get ready to leave, I thought I'd take a few last minute photos of Aldebaran and the Orion Nebula. Didn't think I'd get much seeing as the Moon was in the same location - a test sub of 50 seconds at 1600 ISO was washed right out! So I took a focussing shot of Aldebaran (I don't have Live View) then of M42. Below are the results. Great evening out - couple of lessons to learn like I need to bring a table and Thermoses all round!!

Look forward to next time.

10965844236_d4f7fbc80b.jpg

Aldebaran

10965754585_c4eefa816c.jpg

M42 

Hey Louis - we're Horshamish lol; couple in Horsham, one in Cowfold, one in Cranleigh etc. Would be great to see you - we're starting to gather people, trying to think 6 or so interested or participating. We meet at a dark location in Cowfold. Welcome to come along next time there are clear skies - we organise based on weather and just send up a Bat-signal lol.

Hope to see you soon!

frank

Archived