Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How good is this finder?

I'm going for another zero-mag finder for my 6" refractor. I'm thinking about a mufti-reticle red dot finder since it's solid and the screen of a decent size. Anyone using one of these? 

I already have a Telrad and a Baader SkySurfer V which I use on two different scopes. Don't like realigning when moving the finders from one scope to another...hence the plan for a new finder.

vsrf01-rdf-multi-reticle-red-dot-finder-

Another positive vote here. I have one just like that for my ED120 refractor and it's great. I find I need to use the dimmest setting for astronomy purposes - the others all seem a bit bright to me. Good finder though.

I use a real cheap one. It's easy to adjust, beware of the Meade one , it has locking bolts of one size and adjustment bolts of another size and the dec/ alt goes opposite to where you think it should ! Probably alright as a rifle scope under the desert sun, but not sub zero in Middle England in the dark.

Any dew and I just poke up a man size tissue, Gesundheit !

Nick.

I have a couple of these from Opticstar (Ascension branded) and can find no reason to improve on them. Perhaps I haven't used them under "real" conditions but have never had any problem with dew.

i use one on my 12" dob and its lovely. dims right down and has a range of different dots / circles and crosses to choose from.

obviously you have to star hop once you have centred on a bright star near the object you are looking for - unlike a RACI or straight through 8x50 where you can often see the object - but its not that much of an issue and its sooooo light weight and easy to use.

I got my hands on a second hand Revelation RDF and it seems ideal for my 6" frac, it however didnt come with an alan key for adjustment. Despite the fact I have about 15 hex keys in my tool box none seemed to fit...in all honesty, half of them are identical.. a result of many astro gear buy and sell over many months. Anyway, what's the hex key size for adjustment...2mm or 3mm?

Thanks

.....some good feedback here, and after my dark sky experience this Week, maybe i need something different. Now I've been eyeing the Telrad, but mounting it would have me drilling it to the OTA. This device however ( I've just discovered )  has a trapezoid shaped dovetail bar base) which to me says it locks in place, on the OTA instead of the standard 9x50 finder scope. That said, have others fitted the same way, and done away with the default finder scope? 

bambuko........Hi, Without the experience, I cant see the point in having two finder scopes fitted, unless of course battery failure. This is my dilema. The 9x50 is ok  in garden because its light enough to see through, but at darker site, then a reticule may improve, but dont fancy having both fitted. I`d rather remove the 9x50 and use its base to mount the red dot . 

bambuko........Hi, Without the experience, I cant see the point in having two finder scopes fitted, unless of course battery failure. This is my dilema. The 9x50 is ok  in garden because its light enough to see through, but at darker site, then a reticule may improve, but dont fancy having both fitted. I`d rather remove the 9x50 and use its base to mount the red dot . 

If you're using a small wide-field scope, then the zero-mag finder should work just fine. Otherwise for small delicate targets you'll definitely need an optical finder as well.

Emad, it is a bit of a strange one, it measures 0.109" across the flats, no doubt with it being US could be UNC, tried my imperial and metric sets with no success. there is also a smaller  adjusting key in the kit, at least there is for mine, which is 0.059" across the flats HTH :)

Emad, it is a bit of a strange one, it measures 0.109" across the flats, no doubt with it being US could be UNC, tried my imperial and metric sets with no success. there is also a smaller  adjusting key in the kit, at least there is for mine, which is 0.059" across the flats HTH :)

This morning I used a normal square head screwdriver and it worked. It's not tight so no danger in damaging the hex hole.

Archived