Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Lovejoy spotted, no luck on Nevski

I got out my 15x70s this morning, and managed to find Lovejoy (despite it being off the Comet Chasing chart). Still very nice despite moonlight. I also tried Nevski but the skies were too light for that, or my bins were too small. Next time I should set up the kids' miniDob, I suppose.

• Like 1

yes i spotted lovejoy too on 19 nov . it was easy despite moon light . what about its brightness ? is it on rise or it is decreasing ? i have spotted ison on 11nov , 14 nov and 18 nov . i do not know why i could not spot it on 19 nov . what is nevski ?

instrument celestron skymaster 15x70 bin

Good to hear Lovejoy spotters are out despite the Moon. I too was watching Lovejoy last night in near full moon conditions. It is sure moving at a pace. Half an hour at low power through an 8-inch dob revealed appreciable movement against the background stars. Coma has grown and I was getting glimpses of a tail, which I think will look much more impressive once the moon wanes a bit.

It's good to know it is spottable in full moon conditions. I must say the last week or so I have not got out at all and with the Moon I'm starting to think I might miss out altogether as the early mornings are a killer for me.

I might try and point the camera at Nevski though and see if anything shows up.

I'm waiting till the moon is well out of the way - as you say Lovejoy is holding up nicely though but i have no idea what is happening with Ison !

andrew