SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lovejoy spotted, no luck on Nevski

I got out my 15x70s this morning, and managed to find Lovejoy (despite it being off the Comet Chasing chart). Still very nice despite moonlight. I also tried Nevski but the skies were too light for that, or my bins were too small. Next time I should set up the kids' miniDob, I suppose.

yes i spotted lovejoy too on 19 nov . it was easy despite moon light . what about its brightness ? is it on rise or it is decreasing ? i have spotted ison on 11nov , 14 nov and 18 nov . i do not know why i could not spot it on 19 nov . what is nevski ?

instrument celestron skymaster 15x70 bin

Good to hear Lovejoy spotters are out despite the Moon. I too was watching Lovejoy last night in near full moon conditions. It is sure moving at a pace. Half an hour at low power through an 8-inch dob revealed appreciable movement against the background stars. Coma has grown and I was getting glimpses of a tail, which I think will look much more impressive once the moon wanes a bit.

It's good to know it is spottable in full moon conditions. I must say the last week or so I have not got out at all and with the Moon I'm starting to think I might miss out altogether as the early mornings are a killer for me.

I might try and point the camera at Nevski though and see if anything shows up.

Archived