This is why astronomy is awesome...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The centre of the universe is currently everywhere as it all came from the same point and expanded from there.

stupid question alert......... :lipsrsealed:

Do we know where the centre of the universe is - ie where the big bang happened, and where we sit in relation to this expanding bubble?

The centre of the universe (where the Big Bang originated from) already contained everything that expanded outwards to form the universe so the centre of the universe is currently everywhere.

Or so I'm told.

The universe is wonderful. Ideas about the universe are wonderful. Not being a person whose universe ends at what kind of car they own or shoes they wear is wonderful.

Astronomy is beautiful. The sky is beautiful, the numbers are beautiful, the great minds who are helping us to grasp it are beautiful, everything about it is beautiful. My dog who joins me in the dead of night is beautiful.

I like it here.

Olly

The universe is wonderful. Ideas about the universe are wonderful. Not being a person whose universe ends at what kind of car they own or shoes they wear is wonderful.

Astronomy is beautiful. The sky is beautiful, the numbers are beautiful, the great minds who are helping us to grasp it are beautiful, everything about it is beautiful. My dog who joins me in the dead of night is beautiful.

I like it here.

Olly

Quite simply, you are  ecstatic about awareness Olly  :smiley:

Hmmmmm are these objects of wonder really that far away.....or is it our limitations?  our minds can bring us to any point in the universe and immerse ones self in it :)

I doubt in my time  - but one day the wonders of the universe would be seen not far but possibly too near...

I like it here.

Olly

I'll have whatever he's on :grin:

Astronomy abounds with astronomical numbers, nature having no respect for our arithmetical deficiencies.

My snippet of the day comes from this Ask xkcd article:

"Which of the following would be brighter, in terms of the amount of energy delivered to your retina:

A supernova, seen from as far away as the Sun is from the Earth, or

The detonation of a hydrogen bomb pressed against your eyeball?"

neutrinos_bomb.png

The OP's post just reminded me why have no particular love for people who own big photon-sucking Dobsonian mounted reflectors ............. just greedy in my opinion.

Here I am trying to only scoop up MY FAIR SHARE with my 113cm2 collector on the front of my Takahashi TSA120 while they are sucking them with wanton disregard for the rest.

End of today's rant ........

The OP's post just reminded me why have no particular love for people who own big photon-sucking Dobsonian mounted reflectors ............. just greedy in my opinion.

Here I am trying to only scoop up MY FAIR SHARE with my 113cm2 collector on the front of my Takahashi TSA120 while they are sucking them with wanton disregard for the rest.

We at the RSPCP (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Photons) have looked into your claim of Dobsonian owners greedily hoarding all of the photons. However it has also come to our attention that you sir are subjecting these same photons to wanton neglect. After travelling for thousands of light years, you are callously letting these photons fall uselessly to the ground unloved and uncared for. It is our opinion that you sir are using your 113cm2 telscope as a cruel barb to torture these photons who could have found a loving home if only you used a wider aperture. We will be around later to collect this so called astronomical equipment and ensure it is destroyed (or at least moved to my garden).

Remember a photon is for life, not just for 2500 years...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Archived