Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Granite 12x50 ED Roof Prism Binos

Markinaboat

Well, after spending the past 8 months enjoying my Delta Extreme 15x70 ED binos (from 365astronomy - same as Helios Apollo, TS Marine etc but with ED glass. ), I've finally bought my first scope, a SW Evostar 100ED DS PRO.

Subsequently, as any clear sky opportunity will have me getting the scope out,  I thought it would make sense to replace the 15x70's with a smaller/lighter quality pair of binos. So yesterday I ordered a pair of Celestron Granite 12x50 ED Roof Prism's which should arrive tomorrow. From reading much of the available online information on roof v porro, it would seem that quality, phased-coated ED's in a roof prism setup such as the Granite's can match the image quality of good porro prisms but with the ability to hold them up for longer periods of time and without having to resort to using the tripod (a Horizon 8115 in my case).

For those of you who are considering your first large bins, I can tell you from experience that you really do get what you pay for. IMHO £60 will not match what you see (or don't see as the case may be) when compared to £300+!

Although I'm by no means overly experienced in testing, once I've had a chance to compare the Granites with the Extremes, I'll post a review.

Dare I say, Clear Skies?

I got some good quality minox aspheric 8 x 42 roofs to replace my cheaper 10 x 50 porro and I must admit I don't miss the extra magnification or larger optics views are clearer because I find them easier to hold and ca is  none existent if the granites are as good as they say, you are in for a treat.

Hi,

It will be interesting to read your views. I've just been avbe to compare some Barr&Stroud 10x56 EDs to the Williams Optics 10x50EDs. Unfortunately I had a bit of a problem with the diopter adjuster on the B&Ss,(probably as a much an issue to do with my eyesight) and returned them to FLO and replaced thenm with the WOs. The Williams Optics have something of a reputation (BA8s) which they certainly fulfil, but the Barr & Strouds  are certainly very good indeed and give them a run for their money. More on this later hopefully.

The Granites should be a step up again - so hopefully your expectations will not be disappointed.

Regarding your comments comparing cheaper "£60" binos to better ones - (and thats not to knock cheaper binos - they are a certainly a good place to start) - but both the binos I've used recently cast  a long shadow over my old Visionary 12x60s.

I think Steve Tonkin has often commented something on the lines of be careful what you try out because going back to inferior optics is a ungratifying step!

Hi

I was going for the WO 10x50ED's before I saw the Granites advertised. I just hope the 'bird watching' accolades go some way in enhancing the night sky too!

Of course, £60 large aperture binos are a great way to start but if a beginner is unlucky enough to get a seriously mis-collimsted pair (as I was), it could put them off.

Have just had a call to say a package has arrived for me so off to collect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi again,

hope collection has gone well - and all is as expected. Regarding the bird watching accolades - the vast majority of the reviews I saw about the Barr&Stroud 10x50ED (and in the same binocular in other guises) were from the bird watching and other outdoor activity websites. There is something of a difference between the test of optics in daylight and the needs of astronomy - but I have to say the views I had of M31 and M42 through the B&Ss were amazing - showing more nebulosity than I would have believed. My observations through the WOs have been good but so far but have been  somewhat compromised by moonlight (!!) - so I have not been able to make fair comparisons.

Enjoy the Granites.

OK, first report on the Granites based upon a 45 minute viewing window last night. 

The Good:

The image quality matches that of my 15x70's (£300 Extreme ED's as detailed above). In fact, the craters on the moon, whilst obviously a little smaller from a 12x magnification, were actually crisper, more focused with a drop-off maybe in the outer third of the image (apologies if terminology is incorrect). The contrast was good and the light gathering (looking along a dark towpath with a small amount of stray light) was not far behind the (true) 70mm of the Extremes. The was virtually no CA around the moon unless the image was not centred. I then put them on my tripod and jupiter was a perfect disc with the moons clearly visible. Stars were a nice pin-point but it was too late to find a double (the only one I know in Lyra) to try out.

The Not So Good:

I found them too light which resulted in too much shake (maybe due to tiredness after 5 x 15hr days at work!)

There was some stray light from street lamps in the view. I think this may also be due to not being used to them and finding the best position for eyes etc.

The Really Not So Good:

I'm a big fella. They are two small for my big hands and the fact that my arms need to bend too much at teh elbow to hold them in the required position .. if this makes sense!? As a comparison, I also have a pair of Nikon Action 8x40 porro's which are comfortable to hold up so I think it's a combination of the width of the bins and the narrower diameter of the tubes.

I need to test them further with less light pollution where I think they will really shine!

Now I just need time to get the 100ED DS PRO out for the first session .. think I'll just be using the EQ5 Pro as an Alt-Az to start with!

:-)

Hi, interesting first report. If the images match your 15x70s, your onto a good thing. Shame about the handling side of things - and tiredness doesn't help - thats a very tough week. The B&Ss I tried recently were big and heavy (for roofs') but felt really good in my hands and at 1 Kg tended to steady the shakes rather than cause them. A tripod adaptor/monopod would almost certainly make a big difference - and doesn't compromise the portability much. Incidentally I initially struggled to get an adaptor for the B&Ss but found a slim fitting, but sturdy, Bresser one at Microglobe that fitted very nicely.

It will be good to try them under proper dark skies and the difference between a moonlit sky and a non moonlit sky is quite dramatic so something to look forward to.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, interesting first report. If the images match your 15x70s, your onto a good thing. Shame about the handling side of things - and tiredness doesn't help - thats a very tough week. The B&Ss I tried recently were big and heavy (for roofs') but felt really good in my hands and at 1 Kg tended to steady the shakes rather than cause them. A tripod adaptor/monopod would almost certainly make a big difference - and doesn't compromise the portability much. Incidentally I initially struggled to get an adaptor for the B&Ss but found a slim fitting, but sturdy, Bresser one at Microglobe that fitted very nicely.

It will be good to try them under proper dark skies and the difference between a moonlit sky and a non moonlit sky is quite dramatic so something to look forward to.

Hi again,

I've been comparing the Granite 12x50ED's to the Delta Extreme 10x50ED (identical to the WO's which weren't available at time of purchase). As you may expect, there's nto masses between them other than there's less CA with the Granites and sharper detail (little or no flaring on bright stars, Jupiter etc). They are clearer towards the edge of the view but not significantly and at a guess, would say that 75% of the FOV is sharp. Contrast may be a tad better but they do of course excel in daylight, especially with the central focusing. 

I want to stay with the 10x50's for the ergonomics but think that they may be very slightly out of collimation as found it difficult to snap to focus as do the 15x70ED's (that I'm selling) and the Granites (that I'm also selling). I have read that the 10x50's are not as good an image as their 7x50n siblings but expected them to match the 15x70's more. The hinge is not tight enough resulting in the IPD changing when taking out of the case, adjusting the dioptre etc (my 15x70's need a fair amount of strength to get them to budge which I like). The dioptre seems to think that both of my eyes are the same whereas the others are always very similar and maybe just a niggle, but the there's a 1-2mm gap between the lipped over rubber and the black casing of the right objective lens. (the left is a neat, gapless seal). If it turns out I have a duff pair, I will change them for the same as they tick the boxes for most of my requirements, short of spending several hundred more).

Clear skies like last night please!

Mark

Hi Mark, Those 10x50 sound a bit off to me. My WO 10x50s are more like the 15x70s in that all adjustments are on the stiff side - so IPD and focus stay put. This is great because I simple take them out and use them. The "1-2 mm gap" you mention should just not be there - I'd be sending them back.

Archived