Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Forget Ison, it's all about the Love........joy

I got up at about 5am today and in the hope of seeing both these comets. Initially, Ison and Spica were well out of site behind houses and trees so I went for Lovejoy first. Surprisingly, and despite the moon which was almost full, this was easily located with my 7x36 bins, almost overhead. Also visible in the finder, this not surprisngly then was very impressive in my 12" dob with my 26mm Naler and then 13mm Ethos. A bright core and large coma were a delight in the eyepiece and this is one of the best comets I have seen in a scope. Superb.

Unfortunately the weather has prevented me looking for Ison until today and with Spica so low, the moon and the rising sun I could not detect anything. If I were looking for my first comet at the minute then I'd look for Lovejoy for sure. Ison will hopefully survive it's sojourn around the back of the sun and become an impressive evening comet as I fear I have missed my last chance to see it before it goes 'radio silent' for a while.

I did a sketch too in the short time I had. Really great way to start the day.

I set the alarm for Silly o'Clock (and actually got up an hour later at 5.15!) to try and spot Lovejoy especially. I'd has less luck with ISON a few night previously, and heard here on SGL that Lovejoy was looking good.

It is indeed. Lovely to see in 8X42's, and really great in 15x70's and at 27x in the little ST-80. It was so good I decided to run around (aka panic) and try to get an image (hopefully attached). I got in a right pickle setting up my camera in a rush (!) so its no more than a snapshot really - but I have my own souvenir. I read somewhere it won't be around for another 3000 years so I thought now might be my chance!

This is a fantastic hobby. I've learned loads just this morning.

Obviously if Damien Peach is reading - I'd be happy to give you any imaging tips or help you need (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/199939-comet-ison-by-damien-peach/#entry2108451). Check out his image in this SGL thread and you'll see what I mean.

post-28619-0-36871500-1384850498_thumb.j

here's my quick sketch from about 530am today. interestingly it shows the movement of the comet vs the photo above which I think was taken the night before? unless I just got my sketch wrong! come on....I had just got out of bed and was sketching in the dark.

post-5119-0-93457200-1384884312_thumb.jp

a quick calculation:

it seems to be moving about 4 degrees per day so 4*3600/24 = 600 arc seconds per hour. my field was about 1.6 degrees so x 3600 = 5760 arc seconds and I reckon between your pic and my sketch an hour earlier it moved one twelfth of my field so 5760 / 12 = 480 arc seconds. I'll settle for that being about the right sort of shift in an hour :grin:  quite impressed with my sketching ability now! it's certainly shifting unless I have got my maths/estimates wrong somewhere.

Lovejoy is really a nice object. It seems to be doing very well.

I will have to get up again tomorrow to check it out again

Saw it when it was about 35-40 degrees up, well places between Alkaid and Arcturus.  Tail of the dipper acts as a pointer.

I think it is about mag 5 or just maybe under.  

Our eastern sky is usually filled with light pollution and it was a little hazy plus a moon which wasn't a big factor but still put a little damper on viewing Lovejoy

Very much fun

- D

First clear-ish  sky for a good while so out at 6 this morning.

Lovejoy was still very easy to find in Binos just sweeping the general area and it looked great in my scope.

The false Nucleus is bright and the coma extends out to a good size. The tail faded out quite quickly in the

bright-ish sky but the whole thing is majestic.

Finished off with a look at Jupiter (Ganymede crossing the face), Mars, Saturn and Merury (These two with 8cm from the beach) 

before having a quick look at where another Comet.....Can't remember the name.. tip of the tongue.........should be appearing above

the sun in the next week if it stays togetherlong enough.

Then back home for some porridge next to the radiator

Pip Pip Mick

Was out with a minimal crew all last night. 

it was a long cold one but we have the bbq going aside so it was very helpful.

No moon, no winds and decent sky(for Beijing)

top it all off with Lovejoy. 

Nice tail on this comet. I did not follow much about it because media was clogged with Ison schtuff. I had seen Lovejoy a week ago under bad conditions.

Visually it was not very clear to us but could make out a nebula type object until using optics.  

I estimate it was at about 4.xx mag.  

time to go read more about the fate of this one.

- D

ps. The term dirty snowball certainly does it justice.

This morning it is approaching the bottom right corner of the keystone of hercules (about 4 degs away to upper right)

Around 40 degrees up in the Northeast at 06:00 ish.

It is slightly brighter and Larger than Nearby M13, and has a nice tail which is now a little broader than it was. 

The large coma surrounds what looks like the brighter false nucleus.

" I'm getting a subtle green interior with a ghostly white halo, the bouquet is slightly minty with a strong nose"

a fine advert for the 2013 vintage.

Regards, Mick

Archived