Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece .

Jason71

Have any of you had any experience with a Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece ? If so then what's your view on the eyepiece , is it any good for DSO and planets. The telescope il be using it with will be a 250 dob. Thought about getting one to save having a few separate eyepiece's .

Jason.

Had mine for a short period, been used for double stars on an ED80, have'nt as yet used it on planets or dso.

Views are very good imo, crisp even with LP and it takes my dslr nicely.

Cannot compare to anything else as this is the one and only expensive EP I have ever bought.

IMO it's worth the money, I got mine with the Zoom Barlow in the FLO deal.

Dare say someone else could give you a better review.

I use mine with my CPC1100 and it works very well on the moon and planets. Works quite well on Globs, doubles and the smaller nebulas and galaxies too. The FOV is a bit restricted though so I struggle with the bigger DSOs (should be a bit better in your scope). I fine it very useful when alligning the scope as you don't need to keep changing eyepieces from low to high power. I find it a very useful eyepiece to compliment my other wide field low power 2" ones.

Jason

Search the forum for "hyperion zoom"; there are lots of old threads about this eye piece.

I've never owned one, but my friends who have all end up getting a range of prime eye pieces quite soon after buying one. Whether that is because the zoom is so much better than stock eye pieces and they can appreciate much more what their scope can show them and they want to get even better views, or because they don't get on with it, i don't know.

If you look after it, they seem to hold their price quite well, so even if you wanted to move onto prime eye pieces in the near future, you wouldn't lose a great deal of money if you bought a second hand one.

Even if there are no second hand ones advertised, i'm sure if you put a wanted add on here or astrobuysell it would jog someones mind to think "yeah i've got that and i never use it so i'll sell it on".

Sorry for the ramble.

James

It's a good eyepiece, I use it in an explorer 300pds and it works very well. The field of view varies from 68° at 8mm to 50° at 24mm. I've had mine for a few trouble free years now. You may want a separate wide field eyepiece to go with it, the zooms 50° at 24mm isn't good for sweeping the heavens for that elusive target. HTH.

I struggled with the tunnel like vision at low power. But it had its advantages . No faffing from one e/ p to another , just zoom in from low power and see which power suits the object in the eyepiece , with minimal refocusing.

There have been reports of some becoming difficult to twist and some seizing altogether . However mine worked fine.

I use one in a C8 and it is very good - the convenience of it is the biggest plus but the optics are sharp.  I though have purchased a 2" WF EP as the FOV does get small.  I possibly will go single FLs in the future but I am very happy with what the Baader can do, and the upgrade would be a LOT more expensive.

Although my scope is F10 I know people who are very happy with it in F4.5 scopes

Cheers every one for the information on this eyepiece. I think il go for it and get one, sounds like it has a good report and until I find out which sort of separate eyepiece's I need or would be best , it will do the job nicely :-)

Jason.

Archived