Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi all,

I was wondering when and where is the best time see ISON? I understand its closest to the sun on the 28th November. At present hampshire is due for a clear couple of nights on the 24th and 25th :)

(Where being location in the sky)

Should I be able to get a good view with the 80mm too?

Many thanks

Dave :)

Hi Dave - should be visible for a few more days before it gets too close to the sun - then wait and see !

It's visible in 10x50 binos and very close to the star Spica in Virgo and won't rise till just before dawn, low in the east around  5am.  A bright moon will hamper it a bit though. Scroll down for finder chart.

Home | Free Star Charts

andrew

Hi Dave - should be visible for a few more days before it gets too close to the sun - then wait and see !

It's visible in 10x50 binos and very close to the star Spica in Virgo and won't rise till just before dawn, low in the east around  5am.  A bright moon will hamper it a bit though. Scroll down for finder chart.

Home | Free Star Charts

andrew

I spotted it in 10x50 bins very low down in the east at about 5am last wed. I believe it will rise higher once again when it rounds the Sun in Dec. 

It really is very difficult in 10x50 bins. Its just a bit of a smudge against the night sky.  

If it's not immediately obvious my favourite way of finding it is to take a compass out with you - check the azimuth bearing on stellarium for the time you will be observing and from the altitude make a note of how many bino fields above the horizon it is. e.g.6am 19 Nov it is on a bearing of about 125 degrees and about 8 degrees above the horizon - one and a bit fields for 10x50s. Worked a treat when Panstarrs was in the evening twilight. I'll be putting my money where my mouth is tomorrow morning up on the South Pennines. Time for bed :grin:

Pete

well , i have spotted ison 3 times with binocular . but today i could not , though i could see it without any trouble yesterday . comet lovejoy was very easy to spot today , even if bright moon light was the hindrance .

instrument celestron skymaster 15x70 bin

Archived