Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

Shivam_yadav

Which camera to buy?

Which camera should I buy ?

-Don't want to spend much but still want to have the best ! 

Should I go for CCD or DSLR ? or Point and shoot ! will it be able to perform like others?

What all think should be seen before buying camera ! Like I have read it should be able to lessen the noise ! Does Megapixel should be taken care of ? 

If you serious about imaging you should first consider replacing your telescope and mount before spending money on an expensive camera. You should be able to get some reasonable results shooting the moon with a compact digital camera

CCD. Unless you pay a lot you'll have a smaller chip, but then you can use a smaller/shorter focal length scope and still come out ahead. A monochrome CCD will open up the moonlit nights for you to capture data in Ha and transform your images of emission nebulae. CCD is also easier to use, not harder. There are lots of incorrect assumptions made about this.

As for which CCD, I use Atiks professionally because they have the best price/performance/reliability record of which I'm aware.

Olly

PS, Yes, I hadn't considered the telescope and mount but the priority order, for me, is mount-camera-optics.

Edited by ollypenrice

Wooooooah - Hang on a second!!!!

If you want a camera for astro imaging then the mount is THE single most important part of this. What mount do you have? You want to consider a decent mount such as the HEQ5 that will allow you to take long exposures.

Can you get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count'? from the book section of the FLO website. From the questions you are asking about a CCD, DSLR or Point and shoot, this book is essential reading........... twice!!

Camera wise, as you asked, a mono CCD would be the way I would go if starting out, but they are not cheap and you need filters to go with them to make a coloured image.

Build your astro kit from the bottom up ........... after reading the book ............... twice! Then you will know why you need a decent mount before anything else, and then it will give you ideas about the camera's that are available as well. Do you suffer from LP? In which case a mono and narrowband filters may be a consideration as they can deal with LP better.

Hope that helps.

-Don't want to spend much but still want to have the best ! 

Astro imaging is not the hobby for you then, sorry. You have been given sound advice above, start from the ground up with a large sturdy accurate mount.

Astro imaging is not the hobby for you then, sorry. You have been given sound advice above, start from the ground up with a large sturdy accurate mount.

I am not earning anything that's the reason I don't want to spend much now(I am a Highschool student) ! 

But later I would love to deal with expensive equipments ! :)

And Thanks for your Comment ! :)

Wooooooah - Hang on a second!!!!

If you want a camera for astro imaging then the mount is THE single most important part of this. What mount do you have? You want to consider a decent mount such as the HEQ5 that will allow you to take long exposures.

Can you get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count'? from the book section of the FLO website. From the questions you are asking about a CCD, DSLR or Point and shoot, this book is essential reading........... twice!!

Camera wise, as you asked, a mono CCD would be the way I would go if starting out, but they are not cheap and you need filters to go with them to make a coloured image.

Build your astro kit from the bottom up ........... after reading the book ............... twice! Then you will know why you need a decent mount before anything else, and then it will give you ideas about the camera's that are available as well. Do you suffer from LP? In which case a mono and narrowband filters may be a consideration as they can deal with LP better.

Hope that helps.

LP ?? What's that ? 

I am going to order this book today itself ! 

Thanks ! :)

CCD. Unless you pay a lot you'll have a smaller chip, but then you can use a smaller/shorter focal length scope and still come out ahead. A monochrome CCD will open up the moonlit nights for you to capture data in Ha and transform your images of emission nebulae. CCD is also easier to use, not harder. There are lots of incorrect assumptions made about this.

As for which CCD, I use Atiks professionally because they have the best price/performance/reliability record of which I'm aware.

Olly

PS, Yes, I hadn't considered the telescope and mount but the priority order, for me, is mount-camera-optics.

Yesterday I tried it from my webcam at back of my telescope ! And those were really unprofessional ! 

Well I really need a camera with good pixels ! 

If you serious about imaging you should first consider replacing your telescope and mount before spending money on an expensive camera. You should be able to get some reasonable results shooting the moon with a compact digital camera

I was thinking of replacing Mount, and get me a camera first ! 

I want to start with very basics ! like star trails moon and some of the planets ! 

So what would be your choice with that telescope ? 

LP ?? What's that ? 

Light Pollution.

You could have the best camera in the world, but, if you don't have a mount that tracks accurately all you'll end up with is elongated stars due to star trailing. Forget about the camera for now, focus on the mount as it is the key. The HEQ-5 Pro Synscan (or Syntrek if you want to control through a computer) is the minimum mount you should be considering, and it's certainly not cheap - mind you, nothing much in AP is cheap.

Light Pollution.

You could have the best camera in the world, but, if you don't have a mount that tracks accurately all you'll end up with is elongated stars due to star trailing. Forget about the camera for now, focus on the mount as it is the key. The HEQ-5 Pro Synscan (or Syntrek if you want to control through a computer) is the minimum mount you should be considering, and it's certainly not cheap - mind you, nothing much in AP is cheap.

I don't mean very cheap but an amount which I can deal with ! 

Yes, I'll see into it ! And buy myself a mount as soon as possible ! 

I don't mean very cheap but an amount which I can deal with ! 

Yes, I'll see into it ! And buy myself a mount as soon as possible ! 

I'd advise not to rush into anything actually :). It's much better to do a lot of research to work out whether or not this is what you want, and working out exactly what type of objects you want to image. I've been researching the various options for AP since April last year and still haven't got started.

It's a slippery slope ;).

HTH

I'd advise not to rush into anything actually :). It's much better to do a lot of research to work out whether or not this is what you want, and working out exactly what type of objects you want to image. I've been researching the various options for AP since April last year and still haven't got started.

It's a slippery slope ;).

HTH

Yes I am going to order the book Sara suggested ! 

After that i'll be buying anything ! 

Thats cool, You are searching from April last year ! Lots of patience ! :D 

Shivam

Read the book twice, then start looking at what you want to buy and ask yourself why and what you want to achieve with it :smiley:

• Like 1

Read the book twice, then start looking at what you want to buy and ask yourself why and what you want to achieve with it :smiley:

Yes ! 

+1

Patience is a necessity in this hobby. Even if you are lucky enough to have clear skies for the majority of the time, you still need to spend time researching so you can spend your money wisely. It's also key to remember that a large part of AP is in the processing, so it would be good for you to find out if that is something you would be willing to do - to spend as much time processing an image as it took to gather the data.

+1

Patience is a necessity in this hobby. Even if you are lucky enough to have clear skies for the majority of the time, you still need to spend time researching so you can spend your money wisely. It's also key to remember that a large part of AP is in the processing, so it would be good for you to find out if that is something you would be willing to do - to spend as much time processing an image as it took to gather the data.

Yeah ! 

I would love to spend as much time in this hobby as possible ! 

Well, actually it's my final year in high-school so I am not able to be on the AP side ! :)