Starting new with binoculars

Hi all.

Originally my daughter is asking for a telescope for christmas. Browsing the good advice on here I had some ideas of what I was going to go for for her/our first telescope. Then, I read a bit more in to some of the views and responses and my idea changed!

I am now thinking along the lines of going the binocular route first as I think these would be easier for my daughter to use to start with (she is 81/2). I am looking at getting some 10x50 as these should be light enough for her to use I hope.

Now, seeing that some telescopes mention moon filters etc should we be looking at the moon directly using the binoculars without a filter?

It may be a silly question but I thought I should clarify for my own piece of mind as we only get one set of mince pies and I don't want to do any damage.

Using the binoculars I figured would be better than getting a cheap telescope so the experience would be better and then move on to a reasonable scope as her interest increases.

Regards

reaper30

I totally agree; bins over a cheap scope every time.  If your daughter gets into it, you can always go for a scope further on down the line. She'll be safe enough looking at the moon with bins too; she might get a little temporary spotting from the glare but that's it.  Is she expecting a scope, though and has she any idea of what objects will actually look like through a scope or bins?  People can get disappointed when they don't see hubble-type images.

A good point.  Have you spoken to her about your thoughts on the bins? That ST80 would be a nice start though. Just as long you stay away from the cheaper scopes that promise the earth in terms of magnification.  Those types of scope are worse than useless.

reaper30.........you`ve entered the minefield, decisions, decisions? 

Binoculars will give your daughter a much greater scope. Fully portable, so can be carried easily in her bag, no setup issues, apart from focusing correctly ( left eye first then right eye,  should be in the instructions!) no more accessories to buy, great value, can be used from indoors through glass windows (not sure your daughter will be out all night waiting for the telescope to cool before use, and waiting for the right targets to be overhead for better observation. 10x50s are a good choice, easy to hold, maybe have your daughter lay on a Sun lounger while observing the skies, that helps steady the binoculars for me, easy to align on target, just look at what you want to see, then place the binocular to the eye. I use 7x50 binoculars, which I believe offer a brighter image, but that all depends on the quality of the glass. There are many other reasons for buying binoculars too. Most telescopes view images upside down, left to right, unless a corrector lens is fitted. Binoculars are for day and night time, so if she wants to look at birds in the trees or whats across the fields or city, binoculars will be fine. As for filtering, binoculars will be ok to view the Moon. The magnification is only 7x or 10x whereas my telescope is 150x and probably 1000 times more light gathering than my eyes alone.

As for the telescope, now, where shall we start, Refractor, reflector, Cata...............................?

I'm with Ronin on this one, expecting a scope and being given a pair of binoculars would be a let down if I were a kid. And the suggestion of a ST-80 gets a thumbs up too, a "real" telescope at a bargain price.

Don't worry about filters, they are not necessary for the night sky, they can make it more comfortable looking at a full moon for some folk is all. I would just press the issue with your daughter NOT to look at the sun with any scope or binoculars she gets, that WILL blind her.

For a young un i would suggest binoculars or a refractor or even a mak like the skywatcher heritage, its encouraging that she wants a telescope so 1st impressions will mean a lot to her it needs a wow factor that will hopefully get her hooked and will require some homework by yourself choosing targets, If you dont have it already download stellarium its free and will be a big help.

I totally agree; bins over a cheap scope every time.  If your daughter gets into it, you can always go for a scope further on down the line. She'll be safe enough looking at the moon with bins too; she might get a little temporary spotting from the glare but that's it.  Is she expecting a scope, though and has she any idea of what objects will actually look like through a scope or bins?  People can get disappointed when they don't see hubble-type images.

She has asked for a scope but she doesn't actually know what images she will see yet. We are still in the starting stage of finding out.

If she is wanting a telescope get her a telescope.

Ever heard of disappointment?

An ST 80 on a simple Alt/Az mount should be very easy for her to use.

Yes! Disappointment is a bad thing for children at christmas! At the moment moshi monsters/smurfs/muppets are her main priorities!

A good point.  Have you spoken to her about your thoughts on the bins? That ST80 would be a nice start though. Just as long you stay away from the cheaper scopes that promise the earth in terms of magnification.  Those types of scope are worse than useless.

I will be speaking to her about the bins when she is with me again at the weekend. I will explain about the fact we can use the binoculars for other things too like bird watching etc

I might even throw in we can try and find fairies in the forest from a distance too :)

reaper30.........you`ve entered the minefield, decisions, decisions? 

As for the telescope, now, where shall we start, Refractor, reflector, Cata...............................?

Refractor, reflector, cata................ I haven't a clue at the moment. I need to read up and get ALOT more advice first. I didn't realise how involved telescopes were before I started looking!

For a young un i would suggest binoculars or a refractor or even a mak like the skywatcher heritage, its encouraging that she wants a telescope so 1st impressions will mean a lot to her it needs a wow factor that will hopefully get her hooked and will require some homework by yourself choosing targets, If you dont have it already download stellarium its free and will be a big help.

I'm about to download the stellarium thank you. The link was posted for me in the welcome thread.

I was looking at the skywatcher 76. Then as I am sure others have found, the eyes start to wonder and you think "but for a little bit more I could get the ............" and before you know it the telescope you are looking at is too expensive lol

I will be speaking to her about the bins when she is with me again at the weekend. I will explain about the fact we can use the binoculars for other things too like bird watching etc

I might even throw in we can try and find fairies in the forest from a distance too :)

reaper30......... you could try the following......... I will be TELLING her about the bins, I will MAKE IT CLEAR  that we can use the Binoculars for other uses. I will tell her I`M THE DADDY?  and its my money!  (all in fun, enjoy the decision progress) as for the Fairies, now your pushing your luck?

reaper30......... you could try the following......... I will be TELLING her about the bins, I will MAKE IT CLEAR  that we can use the Binoculars for other uses. I will tell her I`M THE DADDY?  and its my money!  (all in fun, enjoy the decision progress) as for the Fairies, now your pushing your luck?

Something along them lines yes :)

As for the fairies, Cannock Chase forest is just up the road. In the school holidays they built a fairy villiage in the trees haha. The kids loved it!!

I do think she is getting a little wise to the fairies though. Maybe this will be the last christmas believing in santa :( They grow up way too fast.............

I respectfully disagree with many opinions here, a grab & go portable reflector scope would dazzle more than binos, to me at least. Try looking for bands on Jupiter ( and it's moons) with binoculars? Easily done with a " cheap" 100mm reflector and a 10 mm eyepiece.

She has asked for a scope but she doesn't actually know what images she will see yet. We are still in the starting stage of finding out.

These might help give an idea of what to expect through various scopes:

http://www.telescope-simulator.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=58

http://www.classicalastronomy.com/news/anmviewer.asp?a=43&z=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUlI3CjGbug

Archived