Binoculars?

Hi Benny I think that would be a good idea, but is all down to your preferences. I bought a scope last year and am enjoying it. For this Xmas I've just picked a pair of bins for a different type of observing and looking forward to that. In that regard, im going backwards!

I was tempted by the Strathspey Marine 10x50 but was just the weight of them that made me change my mind. Here's a great article that I've found really helpful in choosing what I wanted to buy: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1634

Bins are simply grab and go whereas a scope is a more set piece affair taking more time and effort and things like cooling time before you can observe properly. Knowledge of the sky and constellations will be a benefit for both but might be a bit more productive with bins as you'll be moving around the sky more easily. Either way, there is lots of enjoyment and experience to be gained and sure you'll enjoy either approach you take: if not both!!

Hi all, I've been looking at scopes but after doing a lot of reading I've a feeling that maybe I've jumped the gun. Maybe I should start with binoculars and "learn" the sky?

The Strathspey Marines seen to have a good write up. Any opinions?

One compliments the other so I wouldn't give up / drop the idea of a scope as well ! It doesn't have to be big and expensive, say something like a Sky Watcher ST-80 or a 150 mm Dob for a start, if you are like the rest of us you will probably change / upgrade scopes several times over the life of your hobby ! Also I recommend you buy a copy of Night Watch on Amazon for around $35 Canadian as it is probably one of the best all round references for beginners as it touches on all aspects of this great hobby, is written in layman's terms but yet technical so that you can understand astronomy and what is required !

One compliments the other so I wouldn't give up / drop the idea of a scope as well ! It doesn't have to be big and expensive, say something like a Sky Watcher ST-80 or a 150 mm Dob for a start, if you are like the rest of us you will probably change / upgrade scopes several times over the life of your hobby ! Also I recommend you buy a copy of Night Watch on Amazon for around $35 Canadian as it is probably one of the best all round references for beginners as it touches on all aspects of this great hobby, is written in layman's terms but yet technical so that you can understand astronomy and what is required !

If you have to choose get the binos first and a copy of Night Watch and it won't be long before a scope will be sitting at home also !? LOL !!

depends what it is you want to see.

You get nice wide views of the heavens in binoculars but if thinking of planets all you get is a small disk, Saturn will be the same.

It really is a matter of what it is you want to see and expect to see.

My main concern is that the money spent on binoculars means less money or a longer wait for a scope.

I use a standard set of birding binoculars a lot, but they are not a replacment for a scope. I view planets, clusters and nebula through a scope. I look around with binoculars.

depends what it is you want to see.

You get nice wide views of the heavens in binoculars but if thinking of planets all you get is a small disk, Saturn will be the same.

It really is a matter of what it is you want to see and expect to see.

My main concern is that the money spent on binoculars means less money or a longer wait for a scope.

I use a standard set of birding binoculars a lot, but they are not a replacment for a scope. I view planets, clusters and nebula through a scope. I look around with binoculars.

Unless you have looked through various size scopes already make sure you keep the perspective that what you will see, DSO's and planets alike, will not look nearly like what you see in all of the great coloured pics on these sites / astronomy mags ! They will still be relatively small, faint, fuzzy and mostly colourless, not to spoil your enthusiasm !!

Benny, the general accepted view is that any bins over 10x will need something to steady on while up to 10x can be hand held for a time. Personally I'd go for 10x50 and the Helios Naturewatch are just under £100. I mention these as they are lighter than the Srathspeys...... Though those look nice too! But, as Ronin says, if you want to look at planets in detail then the scope is what you need.

Set yourself a budget available at this point and go for it! What we buy now is just what we can afford and what we are interested in at this point in time. Later you can expand.

Archived