Telegizmos cover for a 12" lightbridge

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen a lot of this "style" of cover on many large dobs at star parties. I don't know if they are specifically Telegizmo ones but whatever they are they do seem popular. I could be in the market for one myself soon so it'll be interesting to see replies from actual owners of them. :)

Here is a YouTube video showing the issue I have with the one I just purchased. I bought it from the US, so i have produced the video to explain the problem to the supplier and the manufacturer. I paid via PayPal, so refund shouldn't be an issue, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

I'm no Ridley Scott...

http://youtu.be/xt09VZPvWAw

The video link worked for me Sam :)

I can see the problem - in it's current position the seam looks like it's not long enough. I would give it a small tug at the front of the ota to take up the slack at the back of the base and see if it makes any difference to the cover at the front of the base. If it still cant fit then I would agree they haven't build enough length over the front top of the mount.

I would comment to them that it doesn't fit completely over the scope being too short to cover the base in the recommended position - so it's not a complete cover which it's meant to be - hence "not as described" and "not fit for purpose". This would be down to the "manufacturing process" cos it hasn't been measured up correctly.

But I can see the quality of the material is quite substantial and robust - other than the obvious problem it looks like a pretty good cover. Might get one myself after you get a resolution from them. :)

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I've tried all sorts of arrangements , but cannot escape the fact that the overage is fine at the back and insufficient at the front. As you say, not fit for purpose.

Their web site http://www.telegizmos.com/TGLB%20Page%202.htm. Contains a photo which looks to fit the base perfectly well

They also state "The rocker section is box shaped to provide full coverage and enough vertical height for total coverage around the rocker base." Again, clearly not the case.

Rocker base coverage is well short of "full", other than that the material and general construction looks excellent.

"They also state "The rocker section is box shaped to provide full coverage and enough vertical height for total coverage around the rocker base." Again, clearly not the case."

Yup I see that - if they're any good they'll be interested to get it correct from your feedback - good luck with them and please do post your conclusion. :)

The video link worked for me Sam :)

would give it a small tug at the front of the ota to take up the slack at the back of the base and see if it makes any difference to the cover at the front of the base. If it still cant fit then I would agree they haven't build enough length over the front top of the mount.

)

I tried your suggestion, there is an optimum position if you get the ota part of the case in the right position, then you can get the bottom of the cover to reach the bottom of the bearing. But it will not go over the base and tuck under, and when you tighten the bungee then you have no chance. Also, on that 'optimum' position, there is a lot of pulling which will eventually lead to tearing or damage to the cover . Basically the best fit is still not enough !

The seller seems pretty good at responding, but obviously is forwarding details to the manufacturer for comment.

Telegizmo stated that the design hasn't changed in years, hence me asking if anyone else out there has one that I can compare too. The seller also claims to have been selling them for years. So, my theory is that there has been a recent problem in manufacturing that has gone unnoticed. I should add that we bought 2 of these, and both have the same fault.

I just cannot see other astronomers being happy with these covers, yet I haven't found any reviews on the web. I am happy to be proven wrong or stupid in my assessment, but. I just cannot see what else I can try.

I'll bet someone at the manufacturer has had the brilliant idea of cutting costs by making them "only just big enough" saving material. But overcooked it and ended up messing the size up. Or someone at the factory came to work half cut and it's been sewn up badly resulting in shortening the seam. Either way you sound stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If you can justify to the retailer it doesn't fit right, then you may get somewhere with the manufacturer. These things ain't cheap - I'd be tempted to drive down to the retailer with scope and cover and ask them to demonstrate putting it on properly if they aren't helpfull. Make them responsible for the stuff they sell. :)

A better option for your scope, would be an Astro Systems Scope Coat 16L X 12" dob version.

I asked a similar question to yours on the forum some time ago and received a good response. The Telegizmos are not, apparently, quite as weather proof or as durable as the Astro System alternative. They are also, based on their highly reflective material, designed more for the astronomer in the USA, perhaps in a dryer, bright and dusty climate.

The Astro Systems is a soft  material, which I find easy to place over the scope should a sudden shower emerge. It also breathes well reducing condensation. There is a draw string closure, useful if circumstances get windy. They need to be  reproofed  every two years or so with a Graingers Silicon Spray.

It was a good fit (tube and base) with my previous scope, a 12" flextube and I now use it with my 14" dob. I also have the 8" SCT version for my C8. Very happy with both, not exactly cheap, but a good quality item that should last for years.

Available through Rother Valley Optics and perhaps other retailers.

Good to see that some companies value their customers.

Absolutely! obviously there's an issue, but they have been really good about it and are keen to make sure I'm happy.

The cover is now winging its way through the Royal Mail (no comments about customer service please !) and back to telegizmos.

I looked at the cover for my Lightbridge 16 but couldnt justify paying out loads of money when I  was sure something else could be found. In the end I went into a local bed shop and got a plastic cover that they had just taken off a single mattress to put on display. This just fits my scope enough to tuck uder the feet ad is very thick tough plastic. So you might be able to save some money and scrounge one for free like I did. Heres my scope  and cover at Dalby Starfest this summer

post-5152-0-09874000-1385073267_thumb.jp

Cheers 

Archived