Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue Pearl River f5 Genesis

Stu

Hi all,

Have just picked up this rather lovely scope, so thought I would post a few pictures. First light will have to wait a little while, particularly given the forecast.

This is the original 'Pearl River' f5 model which has, as I understand it, an achro doublet at the front, around f10, combined with a Petzval arrangement including a fluorite element at the rear taking it to f5. I'm not expecting apo performance by any means, but I am hoping for some lovely, flat widefield views which is what the Petzval adds.

I've read and heard varying opinions about the colour correction and high power performance, but high power is not why I bought it so anything else is a bonus.

I got it with the TV clamshell as well which I will probably re-fit as I like the one on my TV76. I came in the original brown case which looks and feels very nice too.

It has potential as a travel scope as it is quite compact, but somehow I doubt it is possible to 'carry on' as hand luggage without removing the focuser, it is 70cm long with the dew shield retracted. It should give its best under really dark skies with a 21e or 31t5 in it, will give just over a 5 degree fov, x16 mag and a 6.3mm exit pupil. Need to take it off camping somewhere dark!!

post-6762-138463137172_thumb.jpg

post-6762-138463139177_thumb.jpg

post-6762-138463140738_thumb.jpg

post-6762-138463142494_thumb.jpg

post-6762-138463143815_thumb.jpg

Will report back again when I've had a chance to use it!

Cheers,

Stu

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Shane. It's actually not too bad, though probably deceptive vs the 76. I guess it must weigh a bit more, but doesn't feel quite as 'tank-like' as the small one. Still very solid though, and a buttery smooth R&P focuser :-).

Given its age, the optics are in lovely condition.

Stu

I must confess that your 76 was such a lovely scope it did give me refractor envy for alnmost an hour :grin:

Well that is an achievement in itself, for which I am justly proud :-).

You might need a couple of lead weights on the bottom of your dob if you try and add it as a finder though!

Stu

I have one of the original Genesis (s/n 1007) - now over thirty years old and still has the ability to impress!

Majic!!

(A minus UV filter does help when imaging....)

BTW the original dew shields were black....and DON'T use the clamshell - possiblity of scratching the tube and it's not as rigid/ robust as a couple of felted rings/ dovetail.

This is an apo!!! It has minimal colour and in visual use blew the competition out of the water in being so corrected at F5. It isn't CCD imaging-corrected but it is superb visually. It's the scope used by Steve O'Meara for his book, The Messier Objects. It is still a killer in NB imaging as well. In an Ha filter the difference between this and a Tak FSQ on smaller chips is zilch. I've done the comparison. The Pearl RIver Genesis re-wrote the rule book for refractors and, even today, the best refractors follow in its footsteps. (TV NP series and Takahashi FSQ.)

I had one for many years and miss it.

Olly

+1 from me. At last...something that Olly and I agree on ;-)

Olly, Olly, Olly, I told you at the time....

(I was using the Genesis down around 365nm to do spectral imaging...it can perform in the UV with a tweak of the focus.)

I have one of the original Genesis (s/n 1007) - now over thirty years old and still has the ability to impress!

Majic!!

(A minus UV filter does help when imaging....)

BTW the original dew shields were black....and DON'T use the clamshell - possiblity of scratching the tube and it's not as rigid/ robust as a couple of felted rings/ dovetail.

This one is s/n 1644. I think I read that the original shields were black and detachable, whereas the slightly later ones slide back, does that sound right? By original, I was meaning the f5, not the f5.4 SDF.

Thanks for the tip on the clamshell. The rings that came with it are nice CNC ones, solid and well felted so I can easily stick with them.

post-6762-138464446322_thumb.jpg

Stu

This is an apo!!! It has minimal colour and in visual use blew the competition out of the water in being so corrected at F5. It isn't CCD imaging-corrected but it is superb visually. It's the scope used by Steve O'Meara for his book, The Messier Objects. It is still a killer in NB imaging as well. In an Ha filter the difference between this and a Tak FSQ on smaller chips is zilch. I've done the comparison. The Pearl RIver Genesis re-wrote the rule book for refractors and, even today, the best refractors follow in its footsteps. (TV NP series and Takahashi FSQ.)

I had one for many years and miss it.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I hope so! I'll only be using it for visual so it should be great for that. I really enjoy reading/re-reading Stephen O'Meara's book so to use the same type of scope will be a wonderful experience.

Stu

Meant to say that most, if not all of the 'non-apo' comments come from Cloudy Nights which I guess does have a tendency to be a little more critical....... Eg the Radian 'colour caste' issue which seems like a non issue to me!

Stu

What a fantastic purchase Stu - I thought you were reducing your kit???? Anyway looks a fabulous frac - I am so jealous. Where did you get it from?

Thanks Mark.

I do sort of try to, but couldn't resist this when I saw it. It had been on ABS, but I picked it up when it went on a certain auction site.....

Stu

+1 from me. At last...something that Olly and I agree on ;-)

Olly, Olly, Olly, I told you at the time....

(I was using the Genesis down around 365nm to do spectral imaging...it can perform in the UV with a tweak of the focus.)

You did, you did, but I'm not made of money and something had to give! I did blow about £250 on a Pronto, though, so I still have a sweet widefield scope of heirloom quality. I can imagine finding a Genesis when (if) I ever retire...

I still haven't looked through my FSQ106. That's a bit silly of me!

Olly

Lovely new scope, Stu. Congrats.

I must admit, the TV-76 has given me quite a hankering for getting a slightly larger Televue APO as well. This one looks to be in such beautiful condition. Very VERY nice find! Quite envious, here!! :)

Lovely new scope, Stu. Congrats.

I must admit, the TV-76 has given me quite a hankering for getting a slightly larger Televue APO as well. This one looks to be in such beautiful condition. Very VERY nice find! Quite envious, here!! :)

Thanks Aaron. I've always loved small apo refractors so couldn't resist this one! It is in lovely condition, I'm guessing it is around 25 years old?

I found quite a nice TV history at this link.

http://www.company7.com/televue/telal.html

Stu

Archived