SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera Lens recommendations for iOptron Star Tracker

NickMorris

Hiya,

I have recently bought a SkyTracker and was wondering about lenses for my Canon crop sensor DSLR.  How long a FL have people managed to get with this tracker and what sort of exposure length?

I have a fairly old Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 and just the standard kit zoom 18-55mm.  Was looking to do some nice Milky Way wide field and also some M42/Horsehead/Flame wide shots.

Also still deciding whether to use the modded EOS-1000D or the newer unmodified EOS-600D.........

Any suggestions welcome, am going off on holiday next week and will probably rent the odd prime lens or so.

cheers

Nick

I've used an ancient Takumar 135mm lens which was fine for exposures up to 3 minutes with my startracker.  I had intended to try my 200mm f4 lens as well, but didn't get round to it while under dark skies.  I was using a 1000D camera and it didn't seem to struggle with the weight.

Are you heading off somewhere very dark?

Archived