Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep20_banner.thumb.jpg.c34e90166f1f5aa93f5211765a962cda.jpg

Hytham

Orion Constellation - 6 Pane Mosaic

As the subject states; a 6 pane mosaic of a part of the Orion constellation.

2x3 Mosaic
3h per pane for 18h total

This is not complete as the goal is to finish the entire constellation in Ha and Lum (cover the Witch Head).

As always please comment on where you think improvements could be made and if you know how, please state how to do so.  It not only benefits me, but the entire community.

Thank you very much for looking.

Small:
get.jpg

Large:
get.jpg

Of course I catch a couple of errors after uploading and typing this out ... ack.  Ah well :)

• Like 23

This is one of the most stunning and detailed image's i've seen of Orion! Wow! :)

• Like 1

MAN, this is SWEET!

Wonderful detail, perfect processing, great framing, breathtaking effect.

Did I miss anything?

Cheers,

Harel

• Like 1

Searching for fresh superlatives - simply staggering scale and detail. Look forward to seeing this develop.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is looking absolutely superb. Can I ask how you are stitching it together? Are you using PI?

• Like 1

An incredible image - 6 panes each at 35mm size, the field and detail you've captured is just stunning. If you can complete your project to include Rigel/Witches Head with this level of quality then it will be just amazing,

Martin

• Like 1

Hytham.

That is an outstanding piece of work; I look forward to seeing its completion.

Tim

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone!

Sarah, I use PI to stictch the panels together, but I do have a lot of problems using it.  The original registration is always dead set without producing any nasty artifacts along the sames, but the problem arises after I start to generate the registered frames for the Gradient Merge Mosaic tool.  Star Alignment's register/match module always ends up distoring the frames significantly along the seams causing a doubling effect and forces me to fix everything in post.  It's unbelievably annoying.  Even when I explicity use 2-D surface splines combined with distortion correction enabled, with the residual and iterations left at default and one final increase to the RANSAC from 2 to 8, I still have problems. 

I have not run into this issue when using the scope at a native F5 with the smaller FOV and a larger overlap.  I think the key for me is to increase my overlap from 10% to 20% giving the RANSAC algorithm a higher sampling producing a more accurate result.

In the event of a smaller overlap I select an area on each intersecting panel where the overlap will occur allowing the algorithm to perform its random sample consensus more accurately.  It's certainly not an exact science and still trying to learn how to do this stuff.

I tried PS and it just wasn't happy which was very surprising to me as the mosaic I was using to test against, PS had so little issue creating a beautifuly seamless mosaic with zero artifacting. 

As I understand it, you will get better results for the mosaic if you use a generated star field and then put the individual images into that. I'm just looking for the link I had on how to do it in PI, but it's not working. I'll keep looking. I do mosaics in the same way as you in PI, I want to try this starfield method, so I'll keep looking for the info.

** Here's the link I was looking for - Hope that helps **  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80198246/PixInsight%20-%20Miscellaneous%20Tips%20and%20Tricks.pdf

Edited by swag72
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link, Sara!  I had considered its use after someone over on the PI forums suggested it to me and during my daily mental gymnastics I forgot all about this particular method.

I too will give this a proper go and share what I learn with you (and anyone else that is interested).

Absolutely superb - make THE GREAT ORION NEB look quite insignificant...

• Like 1

Thank you once again, everyone.

I love widefield imaging as it truly puts into perspective the size of these images against the backdrop of an infinite space.  It's just awesome.

That is absolutely magnificent :)  Wonderful - a truly widefield image :)  It's the sort of thing I'm hoping to do when everything comes together and the weather lets me :D  I would love to see a colour version and hope you can do this :)

This is great. Barnard's loop is really singing. The great man would have loved this to tears.

Olly