SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetary filters

dan_uk

Does anyone have much experience with planetary filters?

I find Jupiter too bright to discern any details even with the Baader neodymium filter.

I've considered the Televue planetary filter, a variable polarizer, and an 82a or 80a wratten.

Also has anyone used the Baader set of colored filters? Are they worth it?

Thanks,

Daniel

Using a 12" Schmidt Cassegrain, the neodymium does help but it's still too bright to discern details.

I've bought a 25% ND filter to try out for now.

This is purely for visual.

I was also recommended a wratten 82a but I was wondering how those compare to a the baader light blue equivalent?

Dan

Let us know how the 25% turns out. I've been having similar thoughts about the baarder set of coloureds. Will observe this thread with interest.

That said,I had some great viewing of Jupiter as the mist rolled in the other night. Looks like nature got the filter just about right!

Paul

Unfortunately it doesn't include the wratten numbers I'm after, been searching around all weekend. I know the Baaders are slightly off the wratten scale and considering the quality of their products I might just assume Baader know what they're doing and buy them

I ended up purchasing the Baader colour filter set, I will let you all know how they are once I receive them.

I wasn't able to really compare the standard wrattens to the Baaders but going on past experience with Baader i'm sure they will work well.

• 4 months later...

Never did mention how these were! Really high quality as you'd expect from Baader, really can notice the difference with cheaper wratten filters. Unfortunately I found that colour filters didn't help me so much but I admit I don't spend enough time at the eyepiece on individual objects so I wouldn't be the best person to review these

Archived