Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skywatcher 80ed test

Ant F

bases on the moon??  i believe in ufo and E.T life but the alien bases im not sure on that one. personally i think there here on earth hidden away under the sea. gotta remember there far more advanced than we could ever be. 

it was cloudy last night and it was a nightmare to get any of the nice craters on the moon. when i packed away at 730pm it cleared up for 20 mins and you could see everything. i dont think theres going to be another clear night now for weeks. so im going to plan how my shed is going to be when i build it.

when i look at stars they look like my  eq127 scope outta focus, surely my new one dont need collimating??  but over all GREAT scope im well chuffed.  need some nice skies now. think i cursed it :\

how close can i get to the moon with this scope before i lose detail? 

Nor sure what you mean Ant.

I think you mean how much can you magnify with it.

Every scope has a 'Maximum Theoretical Magnification', which is 'theoretically' unlimited.

What happens is that the more you Magnify, the more Dim the object becomes and also results in loss of contrast.

For the Moon, it may not appear to get fainter, but it does, and you see this mainly as a loss of contrast between the lighter and darker parts, making it hard to differentiate between shadows and bright areas.

That's when craters and other details seem to vanish into a similar shade of grey, and detailed edges seem blurry.

The scope will show you the Magified view, but it will look like a smudgy grey mass.

im going to use my scb2000 when its a clear night and see how close i can get into craters. 

i need to learn this scope and it limits first i think before i start going all DSO. i also think im getting better each time at the polar alignment.

i did notice tho with the scb attached i cant seem to put eye pieces in, but i could with my canon 1100d

You might need a focal tube for what your looking to do,, think it was an 80mm one I got the dslr adapters came with my ed80 pro version. .to be honest ..im still practicing with mine.. x2 Barlow in try n focus back out focal reducer in ..weather garbage forget all settings start again..welcome to video astronomy. .keep us posted n ile get settings from you..lol...davy

You might need a focal tube for what your looking to do,, think it was an 80mm one I got the dslr adapters came with my ed80 pro version. .to be honest ..im still practicing with mine.. x2 Barlow in try n focus back out focal reducer in ..weather garbage forget all settings start again..welcome to video astronomy. .keep us posted n ile get settings from you..lol...davy

Nice shots.

It's a pity most of the 'recommended' videos attached to yours are from conspiracy nuts banging on about spotting alien bases on the moon. That's youtube for you though....

Virtually standard nonsense from YouTube "viewers but if you want hits (as they do) include 'alien' in your tags. FWIW a recent post on Comet ISON complete with aliens has had 1M+ hits in a few weeks :-)

lol thats the one bout alien ship behind ison, the nibiru ones are the best. ok i do believe in ufo and E.Ts but not the youtube Rubbish thats out there. ive seen ufo with my own eyes and had encounters that were scary as hell and i had nightmares for months after.  my cousins daughter is currently having therapy because she thinks shes been visited by e.ts and they have stuck things in her. no one believes her lol.   some videos on there are real but only about 1% of them. 

Not that I dont believe in them ant..but ive seen some pretty detailed astro shots on here n no seen any ufo in them..new question to ponder if loads of folk see them in populated areas of the world how have we on sgl no got a picture..the ship/mother ship must be massive I mean just look at the size of captain kirks enterprise its massive in the last picture. .so if its cloaked like a klingon warbird up there how in earth do we get to see them doon here on earth...a just canny fathom it out...please reply with serious suggestions.. a young girls going off her nut wae this..davy

well explain how nasa astronauts see ufo all the time, they go to thunderstorms to harness the electricity. remember things in space CANT change direction and only go straight, you only see them change direction with gravity and then they cant do a U turn or do this shape ) i originally got the scb to record ufo and by taking the IR filter off you get better results as they hide in the uv light.  i used to look at the screen and see stuff but with my own eyes and a pair of bins i couldnt see anything. 

ANT YOU CERTAINLY KNOW YOUR STUFF ON UFO'S , 1 THOUGHT THEY WOULD HAVE A STEERING WHEEL KINDA THING..COULD JUST IMAGINE THE WEE CAPTAIN ALIEN saying to his wee pal ,, left hand doon son..yer gonna hit that moon if yer no careful. .just shows you the tripe they pass off in the movies as real,, im sticking to dr who fae now on...can you get uv glasses im gonna watch out for them, im no far away from Bonnybridge ..ufo central for scotland..

Think it may be another dimension wae this infra red stuff..there wss a film years ago eae aliens wslking about all over...some bloke wsr funny sunglasses could see them ..good film for you...science fiction of course..

I love UFO/Alien stories and folk lore, I have seen strange stuff, and even some strange stuff while observing but, nothing to to make me convinced.   I do love the stories and want to believe.

As for the focus, just make a mask, they are very easy.  Get a piece of black constuction paper and a razor then cut one out.  Many templates out there on the web.  This is a life savor, as focus through the camera is almost impossible by eye due to the pixelation.

Your off to a great start, the ED 80 will provide you with fantastic wide field views.  A focal reducer will make it even better.  My very first video setup was with an orion 4.5" reflector with a sdc-435 on a second hand nextar se alt/az mount.  total cost was well under 500 dollars, here is one of my results from red zone LP area at x512 (8.5 sec).  Good luck, and look foward to your results!

140897.jpg

Hi Hemmi

The HH and flame nebula is stunning - did you use a focal reducer and or filter and is this a stacked image?

Clear skies

Paui

I used a .5x reducer and a celestron uhc filter if I recall correctly.  no stacking.  this was broadcast on NSN about 2.5 years ago.

Archived