sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Zodiacal Light taken from Galloway Autumn Starcamp 2013

The Zodiacal Light is produced by sunlight reflecting off dust particles in the solar system known as cosmic dust,  best observed in the western sky in the spring after the evening twilight has completely disappeared, or in the eastern sky in the autumn just before the morning twilight appears.

3 panel mosaic at 12mm

Pentax K5
Pentax 12-24mm f4 DA ED AL IF lens f4.5 at 12mm
Exp 10 secs
iso 6400

10844791795_30322a1405_o.jpg
Zodiacal Light from Galloway by mikeyscope, on Flickr

• Like 3

This is something you read about but rarely see. In fact I've never witnessed it directly that I can remember.

What a great image. Could you see it with the naked eye or was it only revealed by the camera ?

Dave.

I arrived the night after (unfortunately for me) but Steve did show me an image on his dslr, he said it was easy to see visually so that was why himself and Mike had the time to take the shots. Incredible to see I'd imagine. :-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

What a great image. Could you see it with the naked eye or was it only revealed by the camera ?

Dave

Thanks for feedback ...clearly naked eye, faint at first but steadily brightened and extended all the way up the ecliptic through Mars and extending just beyond Jupiter, witnessed by Steve (dweebostar) standing next to me and he took some images too.

It was very difficult to image unlike the aurora requiring fast iso to stand out from brightening sky background ...but exposures not so long that the sky background drowns the diffuse light out.

Only seen the zodiacal light a couple of times during the 80's  from the hills near Moffat but could never do it justice with slower speeds of film in those days, this is my first UK capture and the brightest and most extended I have witnessed.

Maybe try a re-process at a later date and try to add another frame to the mosaic ...by hand as you can imagine a 12mm lens has quite a lot of distortion for any auto-mosaic program. :smiley:

Mike

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SteveBz
      Hi,
      This is probably a very obvious question.
      If I'm standing outside at about 51 deg  N.  I had always thought that North was towards Scotland, but actually, it at an angle above my head.  This seems right once I realise that I am halfway up a globe, so N is not the tangent of the globe where I am standing but at another angle, parallel to the axis of rotation of the earth.
      Similarly, the sun is in the South at midday, so I have to look South to the ecliptic.  Does pretty much the whole solar system lie on the ecliptic?  The Moon is to the South, as is Mars and Saturn, as was Jupiter when I could see it, so is everything in the Solar system there?
      Finally, during the seasons, in the Winter the Sun is above the tropic of Capricorn, so is the ecliptic further South during the day and at Night the objects on the ecliptic should be easier to see (higher above the horizon), and during the summer the Sun is on the tropic of Cancer, so the ecliptic is further South at night and harder to see (lower above the horizon) and also more difficult because of the short nights.
      I recall Jupiter was so bright and high it was almost casting shadows in April (2 months before the solstice), as was the Moon but now two months after the solstice, I can hardly see Saturn above my neighbour's trees, nor the Moon.
      Is this not right?  What have I not understood correctly?
      Back off outside now,
      Regards
      Steve.
    • By mikeyscope
      A sky full of stars in this 6 pane mosaic taken from Galloway Starcamp at Drumroamin Farm Campsite near Kirkinner on the Solway coast, bitterly cold with very strong winds blowing.

www.drumroamin.co.uk/

In this image planet Jupiter rises in the east within the zodiacal constellation Leo ahead of the back-to-front question mark asterism that is the sickle of Leo.
      Cars on the A75 in the distance across the bay leave a trail of broken yellow lights along the coast road in this long exposure image while low cloud shrouds the summit of Cairnharrow.

Canon 60Da 
      Nikon 50mm AIS lens at f5.6
      Exp 300secs per 6 panes of this mosaic
      iso 1600
      PT Lens & PSCS6
      18th/19th November 2014

A Sky Full of Stars - Galloway Starcamp by mikeyscope, on Flickr

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.