SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Liverpool

Mulberry

I thought it was something complicated. So when Sky at Night magazine makes recomendations for looking though either a small scope (reflector up to 200mm or a refractor up to 90mm) or a large scope (reflector over 200mm or a refractor over 90mm) which one is the ETX 105 (sorry for all the questions!)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was something complicated. So when Sky at Night magazine makes recomendations for looking though either a small scope (reflector up to 200mm or a refractor up to 90mm) or a large scope (reflector over 200mm or a refractor over 90mm) which one is the ETX 105 (sorry for all the questions!)

No worries. The ETX will give views more like a 90mm refractor than a 200mm reflector, very similar views to the refractor in fact.

It uses the Mak/Cass design to give refractor-like views in a much more compact scope.

On the contrary, TS4U. I've had the same conversation with 5 LX200 users, 8 ETX's and countless, (over 10) Meade DS-2114. All have asked me to help them with it, because of frustration with Meade's customer service. Kitt Peak should tell you something, too. they now have a 20" RC in the visitor's dome and haven't had one lick of trouble.

I'm as open minded as the next person. But I know trouble when I see it. The scopes are fine optically, (though I've yet to be impressed with the view from a 10" Meade SCT) nothing wrong with them. But mechanically and software-wise, they are less than stellar. pun intended. Most people I know, when confronted with "what do I do with this new Meade 12" Dob?" say, "Remove the optics, build a nice scope and throw the rest away. Seriously.

One more thing it would be great to have advice on is this: I know the ETX is a Maksutov Cassegrain but does this make it a refractor or a reflector? Or is it neither?!!

The technical term is Catadioptric, which is the combination of both lens elements and reflector elements.

I have around 35 Meade telescopes of different size and functions. From the ETX70 to LX90 12" LNT. The LX200 8" and 10" is our most popular scope. And fortunately brings us few or no problems. Infact within the last 3 months the only problem we have had is with the rather fragile finder eyepiece om the the smart finder.

Just because it's popular doesn't make it excellent. I do know that Meade has done a lot to improve their mechanics/electronics in recent years. All I'm saying is, do you want to risk it? I'd rather watch someone else try it first. :clouds2:

... I have had a couple of 'proc trap 2' errors which seem to be bad news ... and have had a motor error (which may simply have been caused by a dodgy connection to my power pack).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Hi Mulberry,

Welcome to the forum :clouds2:

Your scope needs to be returned and fixed under warranty (trust me on this one!). 

A lot of the American forums consider Meade-bashing a sport!  (As the worlds largest manufacturer of quality astro gear, I guess they are an easy target).  This doesn't seem to be such a problem over here and I hope it stays that way!

The Maksutov is a compound telescope that has a mix of refractor and reflector elements in its design.  There is a thread somewhere here that includes a summary of the Maksutovs strengths and weaknesses ... when I find it I will post a link. 

Hope that helps,

Steve :clouds2:

I was playing with an 8" meade just last night and I was extremely impressed with every part of the scope, the mount was extremely stable and seemingly very, very easy to use. I especialy liked the electric focuser, stops those nasty vibrations from doing it by hand :clouds2:

Thank you all for your Meade support -- I signed off a little dispondant last night but your positive comments are most reassuring. Other than the problems mentioned, I have been extremely pleased with my Meade scope and still hope for clear skies every night. :clouds2:

Hello Mulberry,

First of all welcome to the forum. You've found a good bunch here :clouds2:

Secondly, I'm sorry that you are having ttrouble with your scope, it gets very frustrating - I know :clouds2:

I have an ETX - it developed a fault about 3 months after purchase (Hand set doing weird things!!) I contacted a Meade agent and it was exchanged - without hassle - so the aftersales is very good - DON'T WORRY. :nono:

Get it sorted by Meade and then get out and enjoy youeself! :clouds2: :clouds2: - at least it's going wrong when it's cloudy!!!!! (Greg's logic!!)

I'll get my coat!!

Err Greg!!

Archived