Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

kriss13

Calling all "80mm" APO fans.. help deciding on one.

I kinda "force" my Astrotrac with my 102ED on top so I'm out shopping for something more appropriate... an 80 mm :)

FPL53 is a must for both doublet and triplet.

It will be used for astrophoto and visual g'n'g.

After tons of reviews and articles I came with a very shortlist.

And here comes my indecision, since the tubes are more or less "identical" but labeled by different companies.

-triplet represented by

Orion ED80T CF

Astro-Professional APO 80 Carbon

TS 80mm f/6 (not Carbon)

Tecnosky Triplet FPL-53 APO 80/480

-doublet (more or less alike) made by

TS 80/500mm

Altair Lightwave 80mm F6.25

The budget is 1000$ (~800e) not a cent extra :)

Altair Lightwave doublet and AstroProfessional triplet are my favorites, but can't decide which.

thank you

My APM 80 mm F/6 is a clone of the TS, and it is a cracking visual performer. Haven't used it for imaging except lunar and white-light solar, where it works very nicely. I got the APM one because they had a nice offer, and they have good quality control before shipping

Yeah, this is also a concern of mine... quality control and collimation.

That's why I oscillate between Altair and AstroPro, the shops checks before ship.

If your considering Imaging you will need to take a reducer / flattener into account.

Yup, flattener and everything taking into account, I just have to decide about one of those OTAs.

I am already imaging but my 102mm apo puts too much strass on my astrotrack, and not realy a g'n'g :)

Just out of curiosity, how come the Altair Wave 80 wasn't on your list? Or is it the same as one of the other trips on the list?

Wave is over my budget by 400e.

Budget is 800e, not a penny more :)

There are a lot of 80mm out there but I 'm usually "stick to the project" guy.. I dont drift away or tempted :)

Just ordered this one
http://www.optical-systems.com/astroprofessional-apo-80480-carbon-telescope-p...
Identical to Orion 80CF but less expensive + a small discount for paying in advance smile.gif
Cant wait to look at/thru it, only if the 2 month fog will let me...
My first triplet.
I have another AstroPro (signature)and I enjoined it, but CA in photos is too strong (it is up for sale now).

I would never decide on the glass specification, only on the results posted with the scope.

Of course, I'd advise the Tak FSQ85 (a scope I worship) but I'm a bit sad so please excuse me...

:grin: lly

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tomcamish
      Hi All, 
      I've had a reflector telescope for years but never really used it (this one) . I've recently dusted it off and decided to try my hand at astrophotography. 
      I was really pleased with myself when I successfully pointed the telescope at Saturn and could make out the planet and rings (it looked like one big white ring but a good start). Once I'd nailed getting the planet in view I decided to hook up my Canon EOS 600D.
      Initially I connected it using THIS and was able to get a picture of a Saturn and ring shaped slightly blurry blob, which I have to zoom in on the image to see, thus blurring it further. For my first attempt I was pretty pleased. I then watched some YouTube videos of people showing how it's done and upgraded the Canon T-ring to THIS so I could drop a lens into it for more zoom. 
      However, when I try the new adapter with a lens the camera picks nothing up - any picture I take regardless of how long exposure I use just comes out as a black screen - not even any stars.
      If I take then lens out of the adapter I get the same. I only get a picture if I use the original T-ring, back to the blurry really small blob. 
      Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to get into astrophotography but not getting anywhere yet. 
      Many thanks in advance. 
    • By Varavall
      NOW SOLD!

I only have room in my life for one lovely refractor, so one must go. I have acquired a Takahashi, so my beloved and well cared for William Optics Zenithstar SD66 has to go. It is optically perfect with no scuffs or scrapes. Has been used as a guide scope and astrograph on my LX90. It comes in its aluminum flight case. OTA only.
      Price is £280 or 325 euros, to include postage within the EU.
      PM me if interested.

• By stardude07
      Hello,
      I am wanting (not really 😪) to sell my Stellarvue SV105-3SV with tube rings [not shown in pictures]. The telescope is in great condition with very little dust and no scratches. There is one very small ding in the dew shield paint but it is not dented and it is almost not even noticeable. It happened when I took the telescope out of the saddle and it lightly hit the saddle. The telescope has never been dropped or had any issues and is optically perfect with a strehl of .95 or higher (claimed by Stellarvue).
      I've only used this telescope for imaging however I've once or twice thrown an eyepiece in it during a star party or two and it's VERY crisp with no false color.
      Currently I live in Italy so that's where it can be picked up or shipped from. Price is negotiable however Stellarvue says it is worth around $1200-$1500 USD. The nice thing is you wouldn't have any VAT from Stellarvue . Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or are interested.
      Lastly, here is a link to some images that I've taken with it and what it looks like mounted up: https://www.astrobin.com/users/chriscorkill/
      SV105-3SV Specifications
      Aperture: 105mm Apochromatic Precision Triplet Focuser: 3" Dual Speed Focuser with 2" and 1.25" eye piece adapters F Ratio: f/7 Focal Length: 735mm Color Correction: Excellent Minimum Tube Length: 16" in travel mode Tube Diameter: ~ 4-1/8" (105mm) Dew Shield Diameter: ~ 5-3/8" (137mm) OTA Weight: ~12lbs (5.4kg) Retractable Dewshield: Yes

• By devdusty
      Further to my post about the Skywatcher flexible 130 p, I am now looking at a short focus tefractor. I am 70 years old so can only manage to carry a fairly lightweight telescope into my back garden.
      I am interested in viewing the moon, double stars,  bright planets and the brighter star clusters.
      I am looking to purchase one of the following
      Celestron  travel scope 70
      Bresse r Classic 70/350
      Skywatcher mercury 705 70mms.
      I understand that these telescopes have limitations, but they the only ones in my price range.
      Any comments or advice would be welcome.
      Chris P
    • By MakeItSo
      Hello All, 
      I have a quick question. I am thinking (very loosely) about the possibility of a small APO for wide field views to piggyback on my CPC 1100. I am interested in recommendations. At the moment I am not planning on AP. 
      I can see that there is a huge range in prices and to be honest I am looking for something thats reasonably decent quality (circa £500 - having no experience with APOs I really don't have a sense as to whether thats quite enough or not really enough). I had looked at the Orion Carbon Fibre 80mm f/6 APO Triplet but its just a bit too much money. 
      Please advise...
      And many thanks. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.