Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear skies, no light pollution but no stars?

Fordos Moon

Risking this being a stupid question but some friends of mine have just got back from Kefalonia. They said that at night there was no cloud and no light pollution but they could hardly see any stars.

Now they may have been drunk I'm not sure but is there a logical or geographical reason why this may be the case?

It depends just what no light pollution means though.

If they were sitting outside on a well lit terrace it would certainly restrict viewing although even with lights on you should still see a few stars.

I doubt there was no light pollution, did they get away from the main tourist areas? A friend of mine goes to Tilos (small greek island) which is much less well known than kefalonia and he says the views are stunning.

Probably thin high cloud. Sometimes it can look clear outside, but there is actually a lot of thin high cloud which blocks all but the brightest stars (main constellation stars and the Moon, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Mars). Very deceptive ;).

Archived