Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Celestron Eyeopener kit -or- Celestron X-Cel LX 7mm, 25mm and 2x barlow?

liambyde

Hi There, first post so please be kind ;-)

I have a Celestron 127SLT Maksutov-Cassegrain (Is it MAK for short?). I only bought it a few months ago so have been looking at planets and a few of the bigger clusters. I am now thinking of upgrading my ep's as I'm still using the 25mm and 9mm ep's that come with it.

My question is do I go for the Celestron Eyeopener kit or purchase a 7mm, 25mm and a 2x barlow Celestron X-Cel LX ep's?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Liam

I would get the separate eyepieces, I am not sure about a 25mm the stock 25mm that comes with the scope is ok welcome to sgl by the way and as you are new here you may not have come across these before. they are highly rated for the price and may be worth investigating 

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Skys-the-Limit-Astro-and-Optical/BST-Starguider-ED-/_i.html?_fsub=2568750014

• Like 2

Hi Liam, and a warm welcome to the forum.  I would say you are better off going for the individual eyepieces to suit you viewing needs and preferences.  The Celestron kit is good but you will end up not using the higher mags, or the filters, the Moon filter included is usually pretty poor, these can be bought separately.  The 7mm X-Cel LX will give you 214x, which is pushing it a bit for UK seeing conditions.  You would be better with an 10mm (150x) in another brand if necessary.  I have found 150x or thereabouts hits the sweet spot for me in the UK. You will not need a Barlow at this type of power, in fact, forget the Barlow if you can as at f/length 1500mm you already have enough power in the telescope itself.  Yes, your telescope is known as 'Mak' for short.

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 1

Rowan, My friend has mentioned the BST EP's so may have a look!! Especially as they are a bit cheaper!

rwilkey, thank you for your technical explainations will have a look for 9/10mm rather than a 7mm.

Thank you both for your help.

I have a Celestron 127SLT Maksutov-Cassegrain (Is it MAK for short?). I only bought it a few months ago so have been looking at planets and a few of the bigger clusters. I am now thinking of upgrading my ep's as I'm still using the 25mm and 9mm ep's that come with it.

My question is do I go for the Celestron Eyeopener kit or purchase a 7mm, 25mm and a 2x barlow Celestron X-Cel LX ep's?

Regards,

Liam

Hi Liam/liambyde and welcome to SGL.

I personally go for individual eyepieces. You also mention about a Moon filter. I personally use a variable one. Here is the link to it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BST-1-25-Variable-Polarising-Polarizing-Moon-Filter-/161089126441

I don't know whether you are aware but, Maidenhead has an astronomy society. I am not sure what the dates are though. Also there are astronomy societies in Bracknell, Reading & Slough. So drop by and see what others are using.   

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Regards,

Liam

Sorrry about the first post ! I have the 25, 18, 12 & 9 mm EP's as well as the 2 x & 3 x Barlow Celestron XCel LX's and they all have excellent performance in my f 5 & f 6.5 refractors and my f 8 Dob ! They are excellent value here in Canada for around $80 considering they are FMC, 60 Deg and para focal with the new twist up eye cup ! I think most will agree that it is better to buy individual EP's over time than a kit ! Have you tried the XCel's and if not try finding some one / some where you can give them a go in your scope before buying ! As you know the same EP will perform differently in every scope with different f ratios under different sky conditions !

Liam,

I have owned both sets as you have described in you OP.

I would go for the X-CEL's ( maybe not the 7mm as a Barlow with this will be very high mag ) :smiley:

In my own opinion the X-CEL's are very good eyepieces and have a good FOV :smiley: They will be very hard to beat for the money.

Edited by Pig

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/baader-neutral-density-moon-filters.html

Thanks!

Would the moon filter in the link be a good option? I don't have any filters and a few folk tell me I should get one!

Get something like the Orion Variable Polarizing Filter you won't regret it ! It can be darkened more and more as the moon becomes larger and brighter ! This filter can also be used on the brighter planets and DSO's with excellent success as well !

Moon filters are a personal thing I think. I've never felt the need to use one despite regularly using scopes from 4" to 12" in aperture on the moon. Maybe try one if possible before you commit funds to it ?

Only my opinion , but the bst starguider eyepieces are cheaper and I found no difference in performance over x-cel lx e/p 's.

I also found the bst slightly more comfortable , but that is a personal preference I suppose.

Your friend must be very wise suggesting the bst eyepieces!

As for the filter I will drop you round mine to try

Philip, where is the best place to find details of local Astro societies?

Hello mate!!

http://www.maidenhead-astro.net/ that's the maidenhead society website!

Bought the 15mm and 8mm BST Starguider ep's in the end, will see how I go with them before going with a barlow after the advice above!

Might try the variable filter as Jupiter last week was a bit bright to pick out real detail, saw a bit of detail when the eye adjusted, so might try the new eps before purchasing that well!

I use my moon filter but I agree they are not really needed, just make sure you give yourself a few seconds to adapt back to normal after viewing before moving away from your mount as it can be a bit bright :shocked:

Bought the 15mm and 8mm BST Starguider ep's in the end,

Good choice as I also have this scope and slowly upgrading the EPs.

I have the BST 8mm and 25mm. I will also be purchasing the 12mm and 18mm when funds allow, to fill the gap between the 2 I already have.