Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
jgs001

Quadrantid News

Just came across <a href=http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/23446>this</a>. It contains some news on a scientific flight to study the Quadrantid shower and a link to a tool that can estimate of how many per hour in the shower at your location, they have an option for a custom location. However, where I am there is full cloud cover, so no danger of seeing anything.

One problem with this shower is the radiant is very low,another is the showers peak is also over quite a short period of time,in theory this should be a good shower to see with up to 100/hour often predicted,but even from my northerly latitude and 30 odd years of looking i have always been very dissapointed in them and unless the weather is reasonable(not blowing a gale or -10C) then i dont even bother looking anymore,certainly not for hours on end anyway,however you never know just how good/bad a meteor shower is going to be,thats half the fun of them so please have a look,you may be pleasantly surprised,you just never know. :rolleyes: