SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Satellite flare or camera artifact

Hello.

A couple of days ago i was prepairing to image M31 and had taken a few 20 second subs to check focus, tracking etc using a canon 650D on an EQ3 with a 135mm camera lens.

The time interval between each sub was about 2 seconds (i do everything manually with a remote shutter release) but i noticed something on 4 of the subs that i didnt see during the shoot.

The images showed a fine streak running through the frame with two bright spots, im not sure the full extent of the streak will show on the attached pictures but the anomally must have been in the field of view for a couple of minutes and all the other subs are ok.

Any ideas?

post-32578-0-42101700-1384099808_thumb.jpost-32578-0-92362600-1384099825_thumb.jpost-32578-0-14696800-1384099844_thumb.j

Too frequent for an iridium flare and also would guess too short.

Would therefore opt for a tumbling ot rotating satellite, just not as strong as an iridium.

Any better date and time, may be identifiable from one of the sites of satellites.

Going to comment that it is probably more interesting the M31 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It's some sort of satellite or meteor you've captured. I wouldn't think it was a camera artefact as I would expect it to be in the same place on each shot.

As ronin says, a date and time can help with identification on something like heavens above

I'd say that that can only be a man made object. The only thing I can think of is also a tumbling satellite or a piece of tumbling space debris (spent rocket engine etc).

Either that or the clangers have accidentally left their landing light toined on ;)

I incline toward a tumbler rather than Clanger navigation lights. :grin: 

However,both the US and China have Naval Ocean Surveillance System (NOSS) satellites in orbit that travel in formation,either double or triple groupings.

Don't have orbit times but it's possible you have caught one of these formations in your images.

Archived