Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 OSC, First process in PI

lensman57

Hi,

This is an OSC capture of the M42, 13 X 180s, Atik 428EX osc, 80mm Ascension Apo Triplet @ F4.8 and an Idas P2 filter, all on HEQ5 pro.

Ths is the first time that I have processed anything in PI so please forgive the novice processing, any critisim is most welcome. To be honest I found the whole process a bit long winded compared to StarTools but perhaps that is because of me being a novice and there is a lot to learn.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-48562700-1384036212_thumb.p

Hi,

That's a nice M42 especially considering this is completely new software to you! What catches my eye though is the darker-than-background part between M42 and M43, as well as the outer part of M42 - any idea what caused that? Apart from the core being white (instead of the usual OIII rich greenish/teal), it's a nice image with a good bit of detail in there for sure!

I just created a quick-start thread on the StarTools forum for the many PI users that have moved to StarTools for their post-processing, but it's also intended for people who are used to StarTools but would like to try PI. It's a 'dictionary' so to speak of terminology in the two programs. You may find it useful as well.

Cheers,

Hi,

That's a nice M42 especially considering this is completely new software to you! What catches my eye though is the darker-than-background part between M42 and M43, as well as the outer part of M42 - any idea what caused that? Apart from the core being white (instead of the usual OIII rich greenish/teal), it's a nice image with a good bit of detail in there for sure!

I just created a quick-start thread on the StarTools forum for the many PI users that have moved to StarTools for their post-processing, but it's also intended for people who are used to StarTools but would like to try PI. It's a 'dictionary' so to speak of terminology in the two programs. You may find it useful as well.

Cheers,

Hi Ivo,

Many thanks for your reply and guidance. I will visit the link I think that I did not set the luminance mask in the final stretch properly, well that is my excuse.

Regards,

A.G

I think the mid range brightnesses are really lovely. Beautiful. The Trapezium is saturated and there are clipped darker regions. I don't process fully in PI so I can't help there. For the Trap you need some 10 or 15 second subs but I prefer to combine them in Ps Layer Masking since I don't like HDR wavelets myself.

Olly

I think the mid range brightnesses are really lovely. Beautiful. The Trapezium is saturated and there are clipped darker regions. I don't process fully in PI so I can't help there. For the Trap you need some 10 or 15 second subs but I prefer to combine them in Ps Layer Masking since I don't like HDR wavelets myself.

Olly

Hi Olly,

Many thanks for your kind words, I have taken a few 20s subs in case I needed them but to my untrained eyes even at 20s the core is too bright. :sad:

Regards,

A.G

Archived