Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alpha Gem, double stars on fire!

Special K

I was all over the sky last night doing this or that and got onto the subject of doubles. Was working through a list of K and M class beauties and decided to have a new look at Castor after observing Pollux. This double begins to split for me with the 5mm at 130x. However, I decided to have a go with the Barlow and take it to the limit! Castor was suffering from some atmosphere like everything else but that actually enhanced the scene! At 260x my scope is totally maxed out, but being beyond the limit of crystal seeing, there was a funny 'smoky blaze' type effect that changed configuration as if these pair were leaving a gassy trail behind. I've put this impression down on paper because it was a really fascinating thing to see, even if it didn't bear a lot of resemblance to actual fact! It's like observing a powerful star like Sirius near the horizon. Despite seeing, the diffraction spikes were evident and the companion was obviously of a lesser magnitude. Apologies if this doesn't look quite right, and I'll be missing lots of background stars, but The impression left was a very strong one!

Anyway, its just things you can get up to when the mrs is fast asleep after her girls' night out!

post-26205-0-28597100-1384022464_thumb.j

Anyone wishing for an easy split here, just remove the small cap from your cover .

Replace the cover on Newt with hole opposit the focuser and it'll do the trick at low magnification as well as Mizar and Cor Corioli,

Nick.

Cool! Never knew what that small cap was for! Thanks Nick

Archived