Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dear Santa...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That leads me to something vie been wondering lately. If the earths power was cut and every light went out at the one moment, would that be an instantaneous end to light pollution, or would all the polluting little photons still be out there with a life of their own, at least for a period of time?

Hmmm... Sorry to hijack, but it seemed an appropriate question following the last post :)

That leads me to something vie been wondering lately. If the earths power was cut and every light went out at the one moment, would that be an instantaneous end to light pollution, or would all the polluting little photons still be out there with a life of their own, at least for a period of time?

Hmmm... Sorry to hijack, but it seemed an appropriate question following the last post :)

Photons travel at light speed, therefore if the lights go out the effect would be instantaneous to all intents and purposes. They don't hang around in the atmosphere like CO2, which is a sobering thought because all that nasty light pollution is basically wasted energy - it takes carbon emissions to maintain the unpleasant orange glow. If we found a way to light cities efficiently, minimising the light going up into the sky where it's not needed, then not only would it make astronomers happy but it would also reduce CO2 emissions.

If all the lights go out in London I would rush outside to see if I could see the Milky Way properly from London which would be a surreal experience. The energy companies have been issuing dire warnings in Britain about energy security because they're under attack over recent price hikes and economists have been warning for years about our over-reliance on imported energy. A lot of it is politically motivated. Still, at least we astronomers can look on the bright side!

DD

What about the aurorae? I know they don't bother those in the equatorial lattitudes much and I've yet to see one from Rotherham, but ...

However if Santa's listening: I've been a very good boy this year :grin: so might I please have a 100" reflector with dedicated solar observatory placed in my back garden. I promise (cross my heart and hope to die) that I'll let the other kids on here have a peek through it from time to time. Pretty please with sugar on the top :kiss:

However if Santa's listening: I've been a very good boy this year :grin: so might I please have a 100" reflector with dedicated solar observatory placed in my back garden. I promise (cross my heart and hope to die) that I'll let the other kids on here have a peek through it from time to time. Pretty please with sugar on the top :kiss:

There's one here for sale : http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/hubble-cassegrain-reflector-telescope.html !

Only a 94" though.

I saw that one. I'm not convinced about the build quality as it seems to need servicing at way to regular intervals. Not happy about the location either. The neighbourhood just doesn't have the right (or any) atmosphere :p

Had a great view of the craters on our closest neighbour just short of the terminator (no, not THAT one!) earlier. Had a go at aligning with Polaris, but the LP has beaten me for the moment. Had to come back in as incipient hypothermia was setting in (been there, done that - never again) with associated hunger pangs. Will go out again soon in warmer clothing and few doses of ... nerve tonic  wink.gif  inside me.

In the meantime could Santa please send me an early Crimbo prezzie? Kill the street lights North of my location.

Still not seen one from here, though.

Me neither :( I think 150 years is long enough, right? (I still find the whole thing incredible. I mean, imagine seeing the aurora that far south, and bright. It must have been like the end of days...)

No street or neighbours lights (especially the dreaded security sort) and long, clear, windless and comfortably warm nights devoid of dew would do for me. I thought about permanently transparent and undisturbed skies but perhaps that would be boring eventually.

As I understand it, Santa and his diminutive slave labor have been banned from producing all but the Santa Labeled items by the courts for copyright/trade infringement. The norths ability to produce complex scientific instruments is remedial at best.

- Nate

Birmingham, AL

Archived