Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starsense has arrived

Pig

Well my new gadget has turned up so here is some feedback for all that have asked :smiley:

First impressions:

The unit feels very nice to the touch and looks very well made, it is not as heavy as some reports that I have read (if anyone wants to know the exact weight PM me and I will weigh it for you)

The fitting of the unit to the scope is very straight forward all the tools were provided in the box and it took me as long as it takes to remove 2 screws, about 1 minute max. Even the grub screws are nice and large and not the fiddly little type so all is good there.

All the pictures show the unit mounted on the right of the OTA when looking from the observing position, I have put it in the middle because I like things concentric. :grin:  I do not think this will affect the alignment but I will let you know if it does.

So all in all first impressions are very encouraging but we all know the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I will give it a trial run tonight as the weather forecast looks good, albeit after midnight, and post a review first thing tomorrow.

Any initial questions please fell free to ask

Shaun

post-27910-0-29897600-1383998265_thumb.j

post-27910-0-55324800-1383998737_thumb.j

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume you have to align the Starsense with the scope so that they see the same view. How is it adjusted?

No is the simple answer, it does it itself according to the instructions, it will find where it is and match it to the built in model, my scope also has GPS built in which it also uses. :smiley:

There is a manual calibration setting if you want to use it or auto.

We shall see tonight for real though :smiley:

There's a software equivalent of aligning a finder scope:

• Align
  • Choose and go to a star.
  • Press the Align button.
  • Follow the instructons, basically centre the star in the scope view.
  • The SS takes an image, solves it and works out where the star is relative to the SS camera.
  • It saves the position so you don't need to redo this as long as you don't move the camera.

Chris

That makes sense Chris.

Shame about the clouds Shaun. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Yes they can be a pain at times, there is a moon icon on the weather forecast for 6pm tomorrow and 3am tonight. I will wait up to see if I get a sniff :grin:

Oh, I thought you would at least have to align it in the same way you would align the finderscope. Time will tell. Look forward to first light reports.

It looks as though you are right, took this from the manual.....

The first time you use StarSense AutoAlign,

StarSense needs to know the center of the

telescope’s field of view in relation to its camera.

This one-time calibration process takes place

inside the camera and will not require you to

physically adjust the camera or your telescope.

After you complete the calibration, you’ll need to

perform the StarSense Auto alignment again.

Before calibrating the center position of your

telescope, a StarSense Auto (as outlined previously)

or StarSense Manual alignment must first be

performed. This allows your telescope to establish

tracking and rough GoTo accuracy.

Seems like you're the only SGL member who has got one.  I was expecting a few folks to be testing this and giving a review, but it looks like its all down to you Shaun.

Hopefully I will get a proper chance tomorrow night to give it a go :smiley: I had a quick go on Sunday and it works very well indeed, Its quite funny to watch your scope working on its own :grin:  The robots are taking over  :shocked:

I will write a review shortly.

I am eagerly awaiting a first light report as well as I seriously considering it for my set-up. Personally I need to know if it will work ok if there is a restricted view from one meridian. My garden faces east with a huge unrestricted view from north to south, but in the west my house is pretty much in the way so I would like to know if the Starsense camera and it's controller and electronics allow for restricted views from one meridian to another. I think that there is a facility to override the camera if something gets in the way like a tree or building. It will then move to something else until you are happy with what to camera is pointing at.

I am eagerly awaiting a first light report as well as I seriously considering it for my set-up. Personally I need to know if it will work ok if there is a restricted view from one meridian. My garden faces east with a huge unrestricted view from north to south, but in the west my house is pretty much in the way so I would like to know if the Starsense camera and it's controller and electronics allow for restricted views from one meridian to another. I think that there is a facility to override the camera if something gets in the way like a tree or building. It will then move to something else until you are happy with what to camera is pointing at.

Malc,

Once I have mastered it ( which will be very easy as there is not much to do) I will put it next to house to restrict the view and I will let you know how it copes :smiley:

Hey Shaun,

Thanks alot. I sent a query through to Celestron tech support last week and they have just responed with this:

Hello Malcom, 

Thank you for contacting Celestron.

Yes,  the starsense will work  if you set up the mount and telescope pointing to the area of the sky  that is open.  The camera will focus on that area of the sky for the auto alignment.

Best Regards

WilG

Celestron Tech Support

So it looks like it does work with restricted views. Just point the whole rig towards a clear, open piece of sky and there you have it. :smiley:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/193367-celestron-starsense-accessory/

There is another ongoing discussion (see above) about this accessory.

I tried mine out on Sunday and was very pleased with the alignment.  My house blocks out views to the northern sky, and the southern aspect is overlooked by two very near and very bright streetlights; neither of which troubled the SS.

I have a GPS scope (CPC800) and I had to fiddle around in the menus to tell the SS to use the GPS time and location (not a difficult fiddle btw).  Once this was done, the solar system objects were perfectly centred too.

Paul.

Archived